PDA

View Full Version : m57ru: press 'enter' to boot?

lo-tek
08-11-2008, 11:41 AM
i've had this laptop for a couple months and all of a sudden it wouldn't boot or reboot. just a black screen but i can hear the drives spinning up and the indicator lights on the front light up but nothing else happens.

after screwing around with various buttons i found that if i press 'enter' it will boot up fine. screen comes on and i see the full boot sequence.

is this a feature? how do i turn this off. i can't even reboot without it freezing on boot until i 'enter'.

thanks

Anewbus
08-11-2008, 01:01 PM
While I am not familar with this particular laptop, it sounds like something may have changed in the BIOS.
Not alarm you, but do you run anti-virus software? If not, you should, along with a good firewall, Ad-Aware and anti-spyware just for insurance.

I would see if there are any BIOS updates or something. I would call tech support as well to see if they can check the BIOS settings with you and help you narrow down the problem.

OregonCoastGamer
08-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Did you change anything or attempt to do something before this happened?

lo-tek
08-12-2008, 02:22 AM
nope, nothing changed, nothing new installed. bios unchanged.
it started happening from one reboot to another.

i'm a bit of a security freak and the lappy is very secure, behind hardware firewall, has software firewall and antivirus. no java/activeX, etc and 80% of services disabled. don't run IM, or any p2p, don't even directly download to it. bluetooth, wireless, etc disabled. it's primarily a traveling gaming machine, don't do multiplayer either.

i'm a bit stumped as to what has happened.