PDA

View Full Version : Active Camo

Atrain
06-16-2011, 05:29 PM
Preface:

For those of you who do not know what metamaterials are, they are materials which have been engineered, and are capable of, altering the way light reacts with matter. They're qualities are pretty much anything awesome you can imagine, but until recently they have been confined to lab test, due to the difficulty of making them.

__________________________________________________ _________________

Taken from Engadget.com:

In theory, metamaterials are all kinds of awesome -- they can boost antenna strength, focus lasers, and create invisibility cloaks. But, they've been limited to day dreams lab experiments because producing the light-interfering materials in any practical quantity has been difficult and time consuming. John Rogers, a professor at the University of Illinois has figured out a way to print a layered, nano-scale mesh that bends near-infrared light in much larger amounts than previously possible. The new method, based around a plastic stamp, has been used to create sheets of metamaterial measuring a few square inches, but Rogers is confident he can scale it up to several feet. Who knows, by the time the second installment of The Deathly Hallows hits theaters in July you could get the best Harry Potter costume -- one that lets you sneak in without shelling out $13.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/06/metamatlsx220-1307976987.jpg
pictured: your childhood dreams

link (http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/13/metamaterial-printing-method-inches-us-closer-to-invisibility-cl/)

mobilegamer
06-16-2011, 09:58 PM
predator cloak?!

richardsharpe
06-16-2011, 10:58 PM
predator cloak?!

G.I.Joe cloak :P

powerpack
06-16-2011, 11:12 PM
Ok great still can't even perfect infrared let alone visable wavelength? OK and cloaking is around the corner. I think not for a while. I saw a show about this and how it works. Very cool but don't start holding your breath just yet.

Atrain
06-16-2011, 11:36 PM
@powerpack:

They are now capable of mass producing it in sizes large enough to make into clothing. Also, to adjust for the visible spectrum, all they need to do is make the parts smaller, similar to the way that intel would switch to 28nm chips; when the parts are small enough to fit the wavelengths of the visible spectrum, then we will all have our awesome cloaks. Also, in the picture, the light is being bent away from the dark spots. It's just a matter of time, possibly 4-5 years.

singleshot71
06-16-2011, 11:43 PM
COOL..... the first thing I'm going to do when I get mine is, walk right pu to my boss n punch him in the mouth!!! LMAO he won't know what or who hit him!!! :)

mobilegamer
06-16-2011, 11:44 PM
just imagine the repercussions of invisible men being able to peep on the ladies showers!

cant think of any other applications atm..... lol

SmogHog
06-17-2011, 12:03 AM
just imagine the repercussions of invisible men being able to peep on the ladies showers!

cant think of any other applications atm..... lol

Question:how do you know if you had a Peeping Tom?:wideeyed:

Answer:There's vomit on the window sill.:laugh:

Atrain
06-17-2011, 04:00 PM
the only problem is the Eyes. You obviously can't cover the eyes.

Also, just imagine Detroit 2020. Not a fun place, unless you feel like getting inviso-mugged, inviso-stabbed, and inviso-raped.

MadmanJoe
06-17-2011, 05:54 PM
I'm sure when these products come out, the same or another company in short time release a counter measure.

Atrain
06-18-2011, 03:01 PM
well yeah, the counter measure is ultraviolet light. If it can warp the visible spectrum, it still won't be able to do anything to the ultraviolet light, because it's a higher frequency light which will simply go through it.

Jangooon
06-20-2011, 06:46 AM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/06/metamatlsx220-1307976987.jpg
pictured: your childhood dreams

link (http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/13/metamaterial-printing-method-inches-us-closer-to-invisibility-cl/)

Ummm what exactly am I seeing in that picture?

Hemotherapy
06-20-2011, 11:51 AM
Ummm what exactly am I seeing in that picture?

Based on the color of it, I'm assuming we're seeing it refract visible light into its seperate spectrums like a prism? :eeek2:?

Atrain
06-20-2011, 12:21 PM
@jagooon:

you're seeing a negitive reflection coming from the materials, which allows them to bend the light in ways that were previously impossible. for example, that mirrored piece in the glass is bending 100% of the light away from the darker areas, allowing them to be completely black, while other areas are reflecting the entire spectrum. Once they're finished with the technology, they'll be able to bend it back around the other side, giving the illusion that nothing's there, due to the fact that it'll reflect the image behind it onto the opposite side and vice versa.

mobilegamer
06-20-2011, 11:39 PM
@jagooon:

you're seeing a negitive reflection coming from the materials, which allows them to bend the light in ways that were previously impossible. for example, that mirrored piece in the glass is bending 100% of the light away from the darker areas, allowing them to be completely black, while other areas are reflecting the entire spectrum. Once they're finished with the technology, they'll be able to bend it back around the other side, giving the illusion that nothing's there, due to the fact that it'll reflect the image behind it onto the opposite side and vice versa.

i still say its easier to cover yourself in flexible led television, have 360 degree camera feeding it and puting up the image of whats on the other side up on the screen! much easier then all this fancy bendy stuff, although hd tv does have superior resolution to real life so that may need to be toned down a bit

mobilegamer
06-20-2011, 11:40 PM
well yeah, the counter measure is ultraviolet light. If it can warp the visible spectrum, it still won't be able to do anything to the ultraviolet light, because it's a higher frequency light which will simply go through it.

what if you use a high spf coating that blocks uv? :p

mobilegamer
06-20-2011, 11:41 PM
the only problem is the Eyes. You obviously can't cover the eyes.

Also, just imagine Detroit 2020. Not a fun place, unless you feel like getting inviso-mugged, inviso-stabbed, and inviso-raped.

been to detroit lately? they dont need to be inviso they do all that and more for fun as it is....

Atrain
06-25-2011, 10:31 PM
been to detroit lately? they dont need to be inviso they do all that and more for fun as it is....

Yeah, but with invisibility, all of those things can happen at the same time, and the only person who will notice is you. :eek:

also, just imagine what'll happen when people start getting into drug wars over inviso-crack!