PDA

View Full Version : Installing OS on NP8660

hydronegro
09-08-2008, 07:18 PM
I recently bought a sager np8860, as the title implies. I bought it without any pre-installed OS because I didn't want to pay $100 for something I already own, and I assumed that installing XP or Ubuntu would be as easy as it was on my other computers. However, the graphic frontend for Ubuntu Live CD never appeared and instead I got a scary command line. As for XP, it seems to work, but before it allows me to partition my drive I get a blue screen of death:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. ..."

Then it tells me to restart or check for viruses.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Brad@XoticPC
09-09-2008, 01:51 PM
Hi Hydronegro (I'm not stuttering, I promise.) Neither we nor Sager officially offer support for user installs (partially because the drivers for XP and especially Ubuntu can be tough to get working correctly.)

WIth that said, as a helpful hint, I can't remember exactly where the BSOD will occur in this case, but it sounds like your problem might be solved if you go into the BIOS and change the IDE configuration from "enhanced" to "compatible" for Windows XP. As long as you can eventually get to a desktop, it should only be a matter of finding the right drivers.

Best of luck!

jkim490
09-12-2008, 06:16 PM
Hydronegro I feel you, i have the same exact problem. And just my FORCE 3310 today. It has no OS included too.

viralplatipuss
09-13-2008, 09:18 AM
Try going into your bios when your laptop starts.

There might be an option to change your HD to IDE mode as XP SP1 doesn't support SATA.

So you can make your SATA act as an IDE drive whilst installing.

There may even be a mode for most frequently used OS, which you can set to 'XP'.

popflier
09-14-2008, 02:11 AM
I actually had the same problem with my new 8660. To fix it so it will install you need to go into the bios and I forget which setting its under, but you need to set it to XP. By default mine came with Vista as the default. As a result, I saw the blue screens of death and couldn't install XP pro. Once I switched it from Vista to XP then all was fine.

Zatara214
09-15-2008, 08:44 AM
The command line from the Ubuntu live CD is because of the graphics driver. I had this same problem with my old laptop before I got the NP8660, my Asus F3SA-A1. It has the Mobility HD 2600 in it, which was not well supported for drivers when Ubuntu 8.04 came out. I never was able to fix the problem, but since some time has passed, I'm sure there's been some development in video drivers. You may want to try a custom build of the OS, if you can find one... other than that idk.