PDA

View Full Version : connecting 9262 to samsung plasma

Thundercat710
09-09-2008, 06:05 PM
hello to all. i kept getting an error message when trying to search the forums on this. hopefully someone here has insights. anyways.

i should be getting my tricked-out 9262 in a few days or so. i also just got a whole home theater system as well. my goal is to be able to play my pc games through my plasma. i noticed that the 9262 doesn't have hdmi, but it does have dvi and s-video. the only things i've ever used are crap-ponent video/audio cables, so like many other topics i'm pretty clueless on this one. i've done a little research online and found some dvi-to-hdmi converters, however reading the customer reviews on these things it seems like people were having issues getting the tv to display a proper image. it's only a 20 dollar cable so it's not like it'll break me if it doesn't work, i'm just wondering if anyone has had experience trying to connect their 9262s to their hdtvs. also, i have an onkyo 705 receiver that governs my sound system via fiber optic line, which of course i would want blasting as i play crysis...for the first time lol.

hopefully i didn't get too off-track here. basically i want to know if i should get a dvi-to-hdmi converter. if so, how would i get the audio to transmit to my speakers? will the s-video out jack take care of both audio and vidro? does the 9262 have the connectivity to transmit high-def audio and video to my home theater setup? do you get where i'm going here people??

my samsung tv has 3 hdmi inputs, dvi, s-video, and the dreaded crap-ponent connections as well. thanks for taking the time to read this over-long thread starter. any and all help and insights will be greatly appreciated.

Mike D.

Anewbus
09-09-2008, 10:26 PM
It so happens that I have that exact receiver! They are awesome!
I will be getting a new LCD TV in a few months.

Ok, I see the 9262 has a VGA out port as well.
Does your TV have an "RGB" port anywhere? RGB is VGA in TVland. If so you can connect your computer via that cable which would give you the best quality video this side of HDMI. (HDMI is slightly better than VGA or DVI because it transmits sound as well and depending on the source can up-convert or pass through, but that doesn't matter right now). The hierarchy goes HDMI > VGA/DVI > Component > S-video > Composite.

Anyway, The converter cables just don't work that well at all. As I was saying if your TV has an RGB port connect to that with a VGA cable then you will have to connect for sound separately. You'll have to experiment a bit to find what really works well.
Assuming your TV has a RGB port. Try connecting the line out of your soundcard to the front of the 705 via a conversion cable (1/8 male to two RCA L/R male). Alternatively, if you have easy access behind your receiver you could try connecting the audio to the Game area ports (you'll have to use the same type cable). As you know the Onkyo has a specific Game port area and a couple of specific Game listening modes. (Of course you can use any mode available to you. What you may want to do is get an extension cable which would be the following: You have two choices:

1)Get a audio cable that has a L/R Male RCA on one end and L/R female RCA on the other. Also get a cable as described above (1/8 male to L/R Male RCA). Connect the 1/8 end cable to the audio line out on the PC, then connect the Male L/R RCAs to the Female RCAs on the other cable, then connect the Male RCAs on that to the game area on back of the receiver. That way you can keep the cable plugged into the receiver and just plug in the cable from the PC when you need it and unplug it when you don't without having to climb behind the receiver again.

2) Get a Male to Male 1/8 cable and a 1/8 female to two male L/R RCA. Connect the RCA ended cable to the Game area behind the receiver, then connect one male end of the dual male 1/8 cable to the audio out of your PC and the other end to the Female 1/8 of the cable connected to your receiver. Again, you can just leave the cable connected to the receiver.

By connecting to the Game area or even any open AUX area behind the receiver you are more likely to get a choice of listening modes than connecting to the front. You might want to experiment though as I have not had the chance to see what does what yet in that regard. You may have to sync up the type of sound you want on your PC so that you are feeding that to the receiver. That way the receiver will read what you want and give you the choices it can provide based on the feed from the source. (The Onkyo 705 is a smart receiver).

Hope this helps you in some way.:)

Thundercat710
09-09-2008, 11:42 PM
thanks a bunch. when my laptop arrives i will try the rgb connections you mentioned. hope it all works out.

Thundercat710
09-10-2008, 12:06 AM
yeah i looked closer and found that my tv has the screw-in type vga connection so hopefully getting a male-to-male cable will solve the video side of it. As far as the audio goes, hooking up through my onkyo 705 to broadcast out of my surround sound speakers....i kind of got lost as to what type of cable i should use for that aspect.

Thundercat710
09-10-2008, 12:41 AM
the front of the np9262 has an spdif out jack...and the onkyo 705 has optical inputs...i've got a few optical lines already. do the fiber optic lines i have connect to the spdif output and the onkyo?

Anewbus
09-10-2008, 10:37 AM
the front of the np9262 has an spdif out jack...and the onkyo 705 has optical inputs...i've got a few optical lines already. do the fiber optic lines i have connect to the spdif output and the onkyo?

I think they do. Carefully check to see if the connections fit. If your PC has the SB X-Fi thing then just use the fiber optic connection. There are two assignable fiber optic connections you can use. Just remember to set up the one your using in the receiver software (menu).

Anewbus
09-10-2008, 10:42 AM
yeah i looked closer and found that my tv has the screw-in type vga connection so hopefully getting a male-to-male cable will solve the video side of it. As far as the audio goes, hooking up through my onkyo 705 to broadcast out of my surround sound speakers....i kind of got lost as to what type of cable i should use for that aspect.

1)Get a audio cable that has a L/R Male RCA on one end and L/R female RCA on the other. Also get a cable as described above (1/8 male to L/R Male RCA). Connect the 1/8 end cable to the audio line out on the PC, then connect the Male L/R RCAs to the Female RCAs on the other cable, then connect the Male RCAs on that to the game area on back of the receiver. That way you can keep the cable plugged into the receiver and just plug in the cable from the PC when you need it and unplug it when you don't without having to climb behind the receiver again.

2) Get a Male to Male 1/8 cable and a 1/8 female to two male L/R RCA. Connect the RCA ended cable to the Game area behind the receiver, then connect one male end of the dual male 1/8 cable to the audio out of your PC and the other end to the Female 1/8 of the cable connected to your receiver. Again, you can just leave the cable connected to the receiver.

3) Just get a fiber optic cable if your PC has that ability. (Note: Fiber optic cables don't come in long lengths. I think the max I have seen is about 3 feet).

Woody
09-10-2008, 12:26 PM
I have a 9262 and an Onkyo 600 series receiver. Slightly older receiver but similar features.

I've hooked up my HDTV to my older Sager 5720 so I have some thoughts on this.

First of all, why use the VGA to the TV when you have DVI? You have a DVI output on the notebook and a DVI input on the TV. You don't need a DVI to HDMI cable at all. Just use a straight DVI connection cable. It will be a little more expensive than a VGA cable but will be much better quality. This is what I used and I was getting 1080P from my 7800GTX equipped Sager. I haven't tried with my new 9262 yet but it's the same thing.

The 9262 doesn't have S-Video out, it's a video in and you must have the optional TV tuner card installed for this to work anyway, so that is ruled out. Neat feature though because you can send video from your cable or satellite box into your notebook and use it as a DVR up to 480 screen res.

Once you hook up the cable, you need to configure your NVidia card in the control panel to work with dual monitors. You should set the second monitor to 1920x1080 and use 29.97Hz for a 1080i display or 60Hz for a 1080p display (not sure what your TV supports assuming its 1080). Using the wrong frequency can actually cause damage to the TV so be careful here. I find it's easier when watching movies to set the TV as an extension of the desktop in a dual monitor configuration and then I can use the laptop screen to mess with audio settings without having to stop the movie. When playing games you will want to set the TV as the primary display and either turn off the laptop display or mirror it.

Just be careful setting up the second display because you can actually break something here.

There is no optical audio out for the audio on the 9262. The S/PDIF-Out jack must use a 1/8 to RCA line to a digital in on your receiver. I've never tested this since I use a Creative sound blaster with my notebook which does have optical out and I use that.

The audio can be a little tricky. You said you want to play games. The easiest solution would be to simply plug in headphones into your Sager and skip the Onkyo but I guess you don't want to do that. Chances are you will be disappointed in the sound when using the Onkyo simply because the on board audio in the Sager isn't really up to the task. If you use a digital output from the laptop you will probably not get the correct surround sound you're looking for. Something in the way games utilize surround sound it won't work through the digital output. This works ok for some movies but not others. You could bundle a set of three audio lines (1/8 stereo to RCA) and plug into the analogue surround input on your Onkyo to ensure that the audio processing is done soley by the Sager and your surround sound will be preserved but there may be some noise. Experiment with this and see what works best for you.

In the end I strongly recommend picking up a Creative Sound Blaster for your Sager. Either the hard to find Express Card Xi-Fi or the slightly less expensive USB Xi-Fi. The USB version may be easier to work with because you don't need the dongle to use analogue and it has a standard optical out plug instead of the mini 1/8 type that's hard to find cables for. but it's limited to 5.1 surround. Of course most games and movies are 5.1 anyway so it won't matter. Again, if you let the Onkyo do the audio processing it will probably just mess you up. Let the audio card or Xi-Fi do the processing.

IMO the Creative card is a must have for gaming. Creative's EAX high definition audio is practically a standard in games and it only works with Creative's Sound Blaster cards such as the Audigy 2 ZS and the Xi-Fi. (The notebook Xi-Fi, including the USB version, are actually just reworked Audigy 2 ZS cards and lack the actual Xi-Fi chip so they are pretty much a lie, but even so they are ten times better than the on board audio in your Sager or any other notebook). Sager claims the on board audio is "Sound Blaster Compatible" and that it works with EAX but this also is a lie....try it, then compare it with a Creative card running EAX, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Remember, especially if you use a Creative card, let the card to the audio processing. Your Onkyo is not designed for gaming and will not work with EAX either so let the card to the processing and simply pass the sound through the Onkyo to your speakers. With movies you can try letting the Onkyo do the audio processing but I've found mixed results so you should experiment. With a properly configured sound card you should be able to play a first person shooter blindfolded and actually hit anything that makes a sound. With the Sound Blaster you can do this with simple headphones, it's great.

Anewbus
09-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Woody, thanks for the cautions and advice on the video...very important! (Totally slipped my mind, thanks for taking care of that). I thought he didn't have DVI either on the PC or the TV and was trying to use a conversion cable. If he does have DVI on both it would be the way to go. If not, the next best would be VGA. (Once you move into component, S-Video and Composite you really start downgrading video quality).

I agree about the SPDIF or fiber optic scenerio. I haven't tried that myself, but knowing how my CD player is hooked up with Fiber optic I don't think it will work with a PC because of the nature of the source.

The Onkyo 705 (as is the 706,805 and 806), is actually designed to handle gaming from X-Box, PS, PC, what have you. (It has a special gaming circuit input section plus special gaming modes which may reduce or cut out the possible noise factor. I have not hooked into this myself yet, but I will be when I get my LCD TV). However, as with any receiver one does need to be sure to set the sound mode/processing at the source in order for the receiver to know what to do. However, you are right about EAX. It's a totally different coding language than the 705 or any receiver (gaming circuit or not), would understand so it will not process correctly, if at all. In that case it's best to go with a pass-through setup as you suggested.
The bundled audio lines is kind of what I was suggesting.
It really is about experimenting.:)

Your suggestion of the SoundBlaster card really is the way to go and do it right.:) I may go for the USB version of that myself. I have a Force 3298v2 with the SB compatible on-board sound which is ok, but I've always used true SB cards in my desktops because of their abilties and sound quality. (I didn't opt for it when ordering because it was not within my budget).

Woody
09-10-2008, 01:50 PM
I have the Creative USB Sound Blaster Xi-Fi 5.1 (little rectangular black box with a volume knob) and it works great. I picked it up at a local retailer for $60 and it gives good EAX and audio quality is very good but I prefer the convenience of the Express Card. I've ordered one and it should be here today.

The disadvantage of the Express Card version is that it doesn't come with the $35 dongle needed to plug in analogue speakers but I happen to have a spare dongle so it's not an issue for me. It's also a little more expensive and very hard to find. I will let you know how it is compared with the USB version.

Previously I had the Cardbus Audigy2 ZS notebook and it worked great too but there were bandwidth problems over the PCMCIA interface which I hope are worked out with the new Express Card interface. EAX would often saturate the old bus and cause distortion.

Anewbus
09-10-2008, 02:10 PM
I have the Creative USB Sound Blaster Xi-Fi 5.1 (little rectangular black box with a volume knob) and it works great. I picked it up at a local retailer for $60 and it gives good EAX and audio quality is very good but I prefer the convenience of the Express Card. I've ordered one and it should be here today.

The disadvantage of the Express Card version is that it doesn't come with the $35 dongle needed to plug in analogue speakers but I happen to have a spare dongle so it's not an issue for me. It's also a little more expensive and very hard to find. I will let you know how it is compared with the USB version.

Previously I had the Cardbus Audigy2 ZS notebook and it worked great too but there were bandwidth problems over the PCMCIA interface which I hope are worked out with the new Express Card interface. EAX would often saturate the old bus and cause distortion.

Yes, let me know how that USB SB Xi-Fi works out. It sounds like a great product and that's a decent price too, especially as it includes the dongle! Now I'm seriously thinking I'm going to get one of those.:) I'm thinking it can only enhance my sound performance and capabilities.;)

Woody
09-10-2008, 03:13 PM
The USB version is the one I have. It works fine. It is basically an Audigy2 ZS though as far as performance, not a Xi-Fi like it claims. There is no true Xi-Fi solution for notebooks. EAX works great.

It doesn't come with the dongle, the dongle isn't needed because all the ports are built into the device directly.

I picked it up for about $60 locally at a retail store.

The nice thing is that it is interchangeable with on board audio. When you plug it in it becomes your default audio device. When you unplug it the default automatically reverts back to on board audio without rebooting. You just have to make sure that no audio applications are running at the time you plug or unplug it.

There are issues with Creative drivers and Vista. They've improved a lot but I still think Creative products work better with XP due to the nature of Vista's handling of audio.

Anewbus
09-10-2008, 03:30 PM
The USB version is the one I have. It works fine. It is basically an Audigy2 ZS though as far as performance, not a Xi-Fi like it claims. There is no true Xi-Fi solution for notebooks. EAX works great.

It doesn't come with the dongle, the dongle isn't needed because all the ports are built into the device directly.

I picked it up for about $60 locally at a retail store.

The nice thing is that it is interchangeable with on board audio. When you plug it in it becomes your default audio device. When you unplug it the default automatically reverts back to on board audio without rebooting. You just have to make sure that no audio applications are running at the time you plug or unplug it.

There are issues with Creative drivers and Vista. They've improved a lot but I still think Creative products work better with XP due to the nature of Vista's handling of audio.

Thanks Woody! This sounds great. I like how its interchangeable with the on-board audio! That's a great feature. I happen to be running XP so it should serve me well. I am going to get one of these at the same time I get my cooler and USB hub.:)

I was just reading up on this unit and found that it has "optical out"! (sweet)! I still have two open assignable fiber optic ports on my 705. My CD changer is hooked to the third one and the sound quality of that is amazing! (Especially considering the combo of the fiber optic hookup, power and processing of the 705). The only con I see is the length of the fiber optic cable. I'd need about 10 feet or so and I don't think it comes more than 3 feet which would make sense. I'll research that.

Woody
09-11-2008, 12:38 PM
You may have seen in the other thread that I got my X-Fi Expresscard yesterday and tried it out.

I uninstalled the USB version prior to testing to be sure but I don't see why you can't have both and use one or the other. The ExpressCard version seems to work a little better and sounds a little better but it's hard to judge. Neither of them are true X-Fi chips and they have pretty similar software features but if you need to hook up to a surround system or external surround speakers you are out of luck with the new Expresscard version since it has no digital output and no support for surround sound. It does a fantastic job with headphones and that's what I need it for.

If you need to interface with an external audio system the USB verison is the only way to go.

Anewbus
09-11-2008, 01:48 PM
You may have seen in the other thread that I got my X-Fi Expresscard yesterday and tried it out.

I uninstalled the USB version prior to testing to be sure but I don't see why you can't have both and use one or the other. The ExpressCard version seems to work a little better and sounds a little better but it's hard to judge. Neither of them are true X-Fi chips and they have pretty similar software features but if you need to hook up to a surround system or external surround speakers you are out of luck with the new Expresscard version since it has no digital output and no support for surround sound. It does a fantastic job with headphones and that's what I need it for.

If you need to interface with an external audio system the USB verison is the only way to go.

Yes, I saw that post too. I agree the USB system is the way to do it. I have not had the chance to plug into an external audio system yet. I'm going to try it with the on-board Realtek first just to see what I get. The Realtek does have settings for surround and such, but the interface is via 1/8 cable. Then I will turn around on go with the SB USB solution because I have always trusted SB and the USB version offers what is needed for better interface which includes the much sought after fiber optic.:D I anticipate that it should be fairly impressive for what it is when I hook it into my Onkyo.

OregonCoastGamer
09-11-2008, 03:36 PM
I've said it before, and by golly (I rarely use that word btw) I will say it again. 5.1 Channel USB headphones are the way to go. 1- Cheaper. 2- Easierto install. 3. Completely portable, only one part to plug in. :)

Anewbus
09-11-2008, 03:40 PM
I've said it before, and by golly (I rarely use that word btw) I will say it again. 5.1 Channel USB headphones are the way to go. 1- Cheaper. 2- Easierto install. 3. Completely portable, only one part to plug in. :)

I do like that set you have, but I'm not an on-line gamer. Plus, headphones are murder in summer as my place does not have A/C except in the bedroom and that's barely adequit itself.

Thundercat710
09-14-2008, 04:17 PM
I ordered the external xi-fi usb soundblaster card last night. I tried plugging in my toslink cable to the front 'aux' port on the onkyo 705 and it didn't seem to be the right cable, which is a pain. I crawled around behind the receiver and found a place to plug in the toslink so hopefully when my laptop shows up tomorrow I will have a valid audio path from the new sound blaster card through my receiver to my speakers. What kind of cable is needed to connect to that front digital 'aux' port on the onkyo 704 anyway??

Woody
09-16-2008, 04:50 PM
What kind of cable is needed to connect to that front digital 'aux' port on the onkyo 704 anyway??

You need a 1/8 to RCA I think. When you get the SoundBlaster just use an optical cable to the front of the Onkyo.

Woody
09-16-2008, 04:53 PM

You won't get EAX effect from that setup in gaming. The 9262 is a gaming laptop and almost everyone who owns one buys it specifically for gaming.

For watching movies though it's not a bad idea except not very portable. I own a pair of 5.1 gaming headphones for my desktop and they're fantastic but too bulky to travel with. I didn't get the USB version though because I wanted to interface it directly with my Creative card and get EAX in games. The USB version is not going to give you the sound quality of the Creative Audio card.