PDA

View Full Version : Tips on laptop plastic?

Decidion
11-27-2011, 09:32 AM
Anyone have any tips or ideas on how care for the very soft plastic surround that goes around the steelcase keyboard on a GT780DX? I used a micro fiber dustcloth to wipe it off and it left minute scratches.

I am thinking of using painters tape to mask off the keyboard and area outside of the surround and then taking a scotch pad or something to give an even texture. Or maybe a rough pencil eraser would work better. Something to the effect of the touchpad surface.

Any other ideas?

What is everyone else doing? Just looking at the ugly scratches on the $2K+ laptops? When will laptop manufacturers wake up to the reality of using plastic this soft??? I think the brushed aluminum on the GT780 is a great first step.

Jonathan
11-27-2011, 08:03 PM
Compressed air? light use of window washer fluid? electrostatic cloth (designed for eyeglasses)

Decidion
11-27-2011, 10:28 PM
Compressed air? light use of window washer fluid? electrostatic cloth (designed for eyeglasses)

I guess I was looking for some kind of finishing idea, as opposed to a cleaning idea that still forces you to look at scratches. I bet a camera lens cleaning cloth would still scratch this stuff.

Maverick494
11-28-2011, 12:17 AM
I guess I was looking for some kind of finishing idea, as opposed to a cleaning idea that still forces you to look at scratches. I bet a camera lens cleaning cloth would still scratch this stuff.

use a nail polish clear coat?

Decidion
11-28-2011, 05:38 PM
use a nail polish clear coat?

I am pretty sure the hardening agent in nail polish would melt the plastic (well at least enough to damage it).

I tried using a No 2 pencil eraser, swirling it in very small circles and it it came out with that brushed aluminum look. Not like the rest of the aluminum on the laptop (which has a straight brush), but with small circles. The only thing is that the eraser isn't rough enough and a lot of the original gloss still shows through.

I'll try something just a bit rougher and I bet it will come out nice. Remember those old erasers they used to put on pens for erasing pen ink? I haven't seen one in a long time, but I think that is exactly what I'm looking for.

tomcruise22
02-01-2012, 03:34 AM
How to Remove Scratches from Laptop or Plastic Electronics?