PDA

View Full Version : Laptop for Online Gaming

FStop
10-23-2008, 07:45 AM
Hello,

I've decided that I want to buy a laptop for gaming, and I was referred to this site by a friend of mine (who bought his Sager from here about one year ago). He has really recommended a Sager, and so I think I'm going to go with that. So without further delay...

1) What is your budget?

I would like to keep it below $2200 if at all possible.

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

17" would be best, since this is a desktop replacement.

3) Please select your country's flag as a post icon and tell us what country are you buying this in.

I'm from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada (sorry, couldn't find the post icon).

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

I'll be buying a Sager.

5) What tasks will you be performing with the notebook?

I'll be using it for online gaming mostly. I'm an engineer, so AutoCAD would be a plus for sure, although that's certainly not very taxing ;)

6) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places or leaving it on your desk?

I'm a student, so the ability to take it with me is certainly nice.

7) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games?

Absolutely. Games: Red Alert 3, Day of Defeat: Source, Starcraft 2 (when it comes out next century), Call of Duty 4, Command and Conquer 3.

8) How many hours of battery life do you need?

Doesn't really matter. At least two would be nice.

9) Do you mind buying online without seeing the notebook in person?

Yeah. My friend bought from you guys, and he said good things.

10) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista), Mac OS, Linux, etc.

Vista 64-bit (I need those 4 gigs...)

Screen Specifics

11) Would you prefer standard or widescreen?

Widescreen only.

12) From the choices below, what screen resolutions would you prefer? (more details below)

Widescreen
d. WXGA or WXGA+ - 1280x768/800 or 1440x900; Wider viewing version of XGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.
e. WSXGA+ - 1680x1050; Wider viewing version of SXGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.
f. WUXGA - 1920x1200; Wider viewing version of UXGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.

WSXGA+. 1680x1050 is what I use on my desktop, and it's been good to me.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non glossy screen? (Read below on differences)

Glossy is fine.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

Nope.

15) When are you buying this laptop and how long do you want this laptop to last?

Buying as soon as possible, and I'd like for it to last for at least a few years.

Notebook Components

16) How much hard drive space do you want; 40GB to 500GB?

300 GB would be fine by me. I'm more concerned about hard drive speed (I really prefer 7200 RPM) than hard drive capacity.

17) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?

I need an optical drive, but If I don't get a blu-ray drive, it won't hurt my feelings.

Thanks in advance ;)

robamb2002
10-23-2008, 08:14 AM
Welcome to the forums!

First thoughts on what you desire... I think the NP579x series are great (maybe I'm a little biased cause I LOVE mine) the NP5796 seems a bit to rich for your $2200 limit (your requirements of 4gb ram/320 hdd/vista 64 put the machine at ~$2450) but the NP5793 (which is on clearance) would fit well within your budget. heres what we got:

Sager NP5793 Custom Sager Notebook (Built on Clevo M570RU-U / M571RU-U)
- 17" WSXGA+ "Glare Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright Glossy Screen (1680x1050)
- Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
- Standard Dead Pixel Policy
- ~Intel® T9300 45nm "Penryn" Core™2 Duo 2.5GHz w/6MB L2 On-die cache - 800MHz FSB
- 512MB PCI-Express nVidia GeForce 9800M GTS DDR3 DX10 (User Upgradeable)
- ~ 4,096MB DDR2 667 PC2 5300 (2 SODIMMS) Dual Channel Memory (Requires Vista 64-Bit to recognize Full 4GB)
- NP579x Orange Frame Trim Color
- ~ 2X Blue-Ray Read/8X DVDRW Super Multi Combo Drive
- ~ 320GB 7200RPM (Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache)
- Internal 7-in-1 Card Reader (MS/MS Pro/MS Duo/MS Pro Duo/SD/Mini-SD/MMC/RS)
- Internal Bluetooth 2.0+ EDR
- Built-in Intel® PRO/Wireless 5300 802.11 a/g/n Wi-Fi Link
- Built in 1.3Megapixel Camera
- Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
- Basic Black Business Case - Included
- Smart Li-ion Battery (8-Cell)
- Integrated Fingerprint Reader
- ~Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit Installed (64&32-Bit CD Included) w/ Drivers & Utilities CD's
- 2 Year Parts & Labor Warranty 24/7 Tech Support

$1833.00 before cash discount & shipping
This would leave some extra cash for aftermarket additions like a cooler, or a bluetooth mouse or some high end games and subscriptions. I added the extra year warranty for peace of mind as I feel its the best bang for the buck. These machines are portable, but still pack quite a punch.

This would be my choice at your price range

Happy Lappy Hunting

Remember this is a clearance item, so you don't want to him-and-haw too much before deciding... I recomend calling the sales department to find out what they think. they might be able to help easy your mind and come to a conclusion soon enough to get one of the last few :)

Jrock15
10-23-2008, 09:33 AM
See my post below

Jrock15
10-23-2008, 09:42 AM
Take a look at the Force 3751, its a solid laptop for gaming and will meet your every need.

Force 3751 (Built on MSI-1722)
- 17" WSXGA+ "Glare Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright Glossy Screen (1680x1050)
- Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
- Standard Dead Pixel Policy
- -Intel® T9400 45nm "Montevina" Core™2 Duo 2.53GHz w/6MB L2 On-die cache - 1066MHz FSB 35 watt
- 512MB PCI-Express nVidia GeForce 9600M GT DDR3 DX10
- - 4,096MB (Corsair, Kingston, Major Brand) DDR2 800 (2 SODIMMs) Dual Channel Memory
- Standard Finish (WXGA - Plastic Matte Bllack with Silver Trim ~ WSXGA+ - Black Brushed Aluminum
NO DELAY for Custom Color Options
- - 2X Blue-Ray Read/8X DVDRW Super Multi Combo Drive
- - 320GB 7200RPM WD or Seagate (Serial-ATA II 3GB/s)
- Internal 5-in-1 Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS/MS PRO/ xD-P)
- Internal Bluetooth 2.0+ EDR
- Built-in Intel® PRO/Wireless 5300 802.11 a/g/n Wi-Fi Link
- Built in 2.0 Megapixel Camera
- Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
- Carying Case Optional (Select if desired)
- Smart Li-ion Battery (6-Cell)
- -Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit w/ Drivers & Utilities CD's
- 3 Year Complete Care Full Parts / Labor Warranty - Next Business Day Shipping both ways - Lifetime 24/7 DOMESTIC Tech Support

If you want to ensure that your laptop will last a good 3 full years then this would definitely be a top choice for you to consider. This laptop comes standard with the 3 year complete care full parts and labor warranty.

The warranty information can be found here (http://www.xoticpc.com/warranty-service-returns-ip-6.html#Xotic).

For the games you are looking to play the graphics card will do more than enough to satisfy you.

$2264 for this rig. If you pay cash you can save some money. If you take out the blue ray you will save $390.

:cool:

Anewbus
10-23-2008, 10:13 AM
The only thing I can add is that the Force 3751 is also a very good machine, even though a bit over your budget, but only by $64. Does not include shipping and tax though.
If your budget has no flex in it than the config Roamb did for the NP5793 would be the way to go and it is on huge sale so you would be getting a good bang for the buck there. The only thing I would change if it were me woud be to upgrade the warranty all the way to the 3 year full coverage parts and labor. It's only $61 more which would bring the total to $1894.41 not incl shipping and tax of course.
As Roamb said, I would get on the phone with the good folks at XoticPC without delay for this one so you can snatch one up before they are gone. They are also very good at answering any other questions you may have.

Justin_W@XoticPC
10-23-2008, 10:30 AM
I agree with robamb2002 (http://www.xoticpcforums.com/member.php?u=5245) & Anewbus (http://www.xoticpcforums.com/member.php?u=8415) on this one. The Sager np5793 would be your perfect machine. Your looking for a laptop that will run current and newer games without any problems. The video card in the 5793 will handle all of the games your looking to play without any problems. As for the warranty you can either stay with the standard warranty or upgrade to any of the available upgraded warranty options. If you have any questions on the different warranty options or what's covered in Canada, please feel free to e-mail me. My e-mail is in my signature below.

robamb2002
10-23-2008, 11:43 AM
ah! I forgot the canada part... you definatly want the 5793 then.. you will need the extra cash for tax and duty... if you do a search in the forums for canada shipping(http://www.xoticpcforums.com/search.php?searchid=15344) and you will see info on what to expect to pay extra. :-/

FStop
10-24-2008, 07:40 AM
Thanks for the help guys. It seems like the Sager NP5793 is a perfect fit, and the timing is pretty good too (discounted price and all). I e-mailed Justin with some inquiries, but I'll probably be making the order soon (before they're gone! :)).

Thanks again. You guys replied amazingly fast. :)