PDA

View Full Version : Bad fan right out of the box - np9261

Dalthius
11-12-2007, 11:00 PM
I received my np9261 a scant few hours ago. It booted up fine and after a rather lengthy first-time boot up of Vista Premium 64-bit, the cpu fan kicked in and basically started screaming. Turns out the fan is scraping against the fan case...I'm guessing the magnetic bearing has weakened or something and is not strong enough to keep the fan all the way up. It ceases to scrape if I hold the laptop at a bit of an angle. I took it apart, looked at it, and the spring inside is a little stretchy but otherwise ok.

Any ideas? I just paid close to 3 grand for a computer and my experience is being ruined by a $10 part. Very, very annoying. I'm sure XoticPC/Sager are not to blame, the thing likely got bumped about in shipping. I called XoticPC tech support but they had no clue. They had a hard time understanding that the fan in question was MAGNETIC and not a single unit. They are going to send me a new fan (and I really, REALLY hope they send the right one), but it's a little late. I got this thing over-nighted since I leave on deployment very soon...I may have a window of a week where I can get this fan delivered, if I'm lucky.

Overall, very disappointing and quite a sour experience. I'm sure once I get the fan replaced/fixed, I'll feel much better about my computer, but right now I'm so irritated I just needed to vent.

Anybody know anything about the fans in these Sagers? Is there a quick and easy fix, or do I really just need to replace the fan?

xpcdude
11-13-2007, 06:17 AM
Unfortunately, you may just have gotten a tough break. Sager fans are really quite good and maintain the unit as cool as possible. Granted,the 5791 are a bit louder than regular laptop fans,but the 9261 is pretty quiet compared to other DTRs. Which one of the four fans was not good?
You can contact sager support also and ask where you could find a fan for that specific part of the laptop
Send an email to Techsupport@sagernotebook.com :)

Dalthius
11-13-2007, 07:30 AM
Looking at the underside of the laptop, it was the fan directly above the battery blowing air onto two of the CPUs. Next to it was a non-magnetic fan over the RAM, also blowing air onto two of the CPUs. Then on the far opposite side was the GPU fan.

Thanks, I'll talk to Sager directly.

Cheers!

Justin@XoticPC
11-13-2007, 08:20 AM
You may also call our 24/7 Tech Support # on our Contact Us page for your Sager machine. :) They will assist you immediately.

Dalthius
11-13-2007, 09:09 AM
I did in fact call them right away but they were very confused about the fan. It seemed they did not realize one of the fans was different from the others, i.e., magnetic bearing. They were unfortunately very little help, but at least they offered to ship a new fan.

Dalthius
11-13-2007, 09:25 AM
Just talked to them again, Sager customer support, said they cannot overnight the fan, 3 - 4 days shipping. Fantastic. Now I'm a little irritated.

Justin, my apologies, it was Sager customer support the whole time, I'm trying XoticPC now. Sorry.

Justin@XoticPC
11-13-2007, 09:29 AM
Who did you speak with at Sager? We can make sure they at least 2 day air it to you.

Dalthius
11-13-2007, 09:46 AM
I couldn't understand what his name was. I just got off the phone with Donald at XoticPC tech support, pretty helpful, I'm just going to take some pics of the fan to make sure I get the right one in the mail.

Thanks Justin!

Justin@XoticPC
11-13-2007, 10:08 AM
They will take care of you. You should be able to request at least 2 day air on the replacement. :) (If you have any problems let me know and i will make it happen!)

Justin@XoticPC
11-13-2007, 11:50 AM
Please email us over your name and order # so we can see what we can do on the shipping.