PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a gaming laptop

Splash-X
11-19-2008, 10:48 AM
1) What is your budget?

About $2000, I would prefer to keep it under but the price is flexiable. This is the price without shipping, handeling, warranty, and/or custom paiting.

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

d. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) Please select your country's flag as a post icon and tell us what country are you buying this in.

USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

I've previously owned an Asus white lable laptop and was very happy.

5) What tasks will you be performing with the notebook?

Mainly gaming, some photoshop

6) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places or leaving it on your desk?

Sometimes, the goal is a excellent laptop that can be taken with me on trips to do some gaming away from the house.

7) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games?

World of Warcraft

8) How many hours of battery life do you need?

No preference

9) Do you mind buying online without seeing the notebook in person?

I prefer to see them in person to check the specs and Vista User Rating Index but if I can find the benchmarks and specs of the laptops and compare them and there are photos, I'm good.

10) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista), Mac OS, Linux, etc.

64bit Vista or XP

Screen Specifics

11) Would you prefer standard or widescreen?

No preference

12) From the choices below, what screen resolutions would you prefer? (more details below)

No preference

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non glossy screen? (Read below on differences)

Glossy

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

No, I plan to have the laptop painted

15) When are you buying this laptop and how long do you want this laptop to last?

ASAP and last several years

Notebook Components

16) How much hard drive space do you want; 40GB to 500GB?

200GB is fine. I would prefer dual internal 7200 RPM drives so I can install games on one drive and the OS on the other for better IO performance. If the computer does not support dual internal drives I need to have an eSATA connector to use an external drive as the gaming drive.

17) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?

Yes, CD/DVD Writer at least. Blu-ray is not a must by any means.

Splash-X
11-20-2008, 04:11 PM
I have to say I'm heavily considering the ASUS G71G series laptops. They seem like an excellent value.

On the other hand the NP5796 with a GeForce 9800 GTX isn't a bad model at all either but is a bit more expensive.

The main purpose of this laptop is to replace my wifes desktop. I've already spoiled myself with a new gaming rig and I have a decent Asus white label that plays WOW just fine when I travel.

The key here is either having two hard drives internal OR one drive with an eSATA connector so I can place Photoshop and WOW on the secondary drive to increase the speed.

I do not need the OS included on the laptop as I have a few spare licenses for Vista x64 and XP x64 so keep that in mind when specing out the systems.

Thanks

Fulle
11-20-2008, 11:13 PM
Given your situation I'd probably get the Asus.... Its obviously more affordable, but even if price wasn't an issue:
The Asus has 2 250GB 7200rpm HDs, so you won't have to worry about adding an external drive...
The Asus has more RAM
and the 9800m GS should be plenty powerful for Warcraft.

The Sager 5796 is a nice machine, but unless you're going to be playing the few games that benefit from its GPU's higher clockspeeds, I don't see an advantage. It does have more tame styling (the Asus has side LEDs and red trim), but I've also heard the Sager's fans are more loud than the Asus.

Even if you were going to play high end games, its a crapshoot. The Sager's 9800m GTS has the same arcitechture as the 9800m GS, and there's only a short list of games that benefit from its higher clockspeed. Crysis has a bottleneck at the memory bus, so its likely at a playable resolution both GPUs would perform identically (I've come to this conclusion by comparing the performance of the 8800m GTS to the 9800m GTS in Anandtech's benchmarks). Cutting into the advantage even further, the Asus has more RAM, which should benefit the min FSP values (corsair just released benchmarks comparing 3 to 6 GB of memory on some high end games, using new i7 intel CPUs). Unfortuanately, I wasn't able to find any benchmarks comparing 4GB to 6GB on Core2Duo mobile CPUs, but its not unreasonable to assume there might be some positive benefit to the min FPS values none the less. The only situation where I'd see the Sager having an advantage, would be at unplayable resolutions in games like Mass Effect and World in Conflict.
-I consider anything lower than 30 FPS unplayable.
-I consider any performance difference in FPS above 60 irrelevant.

But, your situation is more simple. WoW's an easy game to run... I get over 100 FPS at home on a 8800 GS at 1600x1200 with a weak old E4300 CPU. I just V-Sync for a constant 60. If a 9800m GS can't run WoW flawlessly there's something wrong... and the Sager doesn't have 2 HDs for your photoshop.

Unless you find the Asus' styling too obnoxious to live with, I don't see any advantages on the Sager's side.

Splash-X
11-21-2008, 12:10 AM
Fulle,

I'm glad I wasnt the only one who saw the value in the Asus.

Although the Asus has more flare I really prefer a basic style. In the end I anticipate having the entire laptop painted Pink so the current red color is moot. I do think the LEDs will look fine on Pink (I hope :) )

The struggle was thinking that I maybe overlooked something. The Asus just seems like a steal in comparison to the other units in its immediate price range.

anyone else second the Asus? or perhaps have another take on a different model over the asus?

thanks for the help

powerpack
11-26-2008, 09:58 PM
Splash I can't say anything bad about Asus. I bought a different model as not such a gamer and wanted smaller. I have the same CPU in 14 (F8VA-C1) and I can't believe how cool it runs. Runs between 110 and 120 doing this kind of surfing with some apps open. HDD is 91. I went from a Gateway w/AMD 146 CPU doing nothing much. HDD always like 126 doing nothing. Your 17 should run cool. That is good.

I agree given the two choices hard to ignore the value of Asus. They have steadily improved the price to performance equation. And unlike Gateway (which does offer bang for the buck) Asus has many more choices and don't install weak CPU's which always creates a dilemma when choosing.

I spent so much time window shopping and heard many different things. At least with the 14's that overall offer the best GPU in class. They are actually on the larger size. Well to give me a better GPU I can forgive. And having had for a month, yea no Air Book but not an anchor either.

Build quality? Heard comments like average? Well mine is well built. It is solid. I am not going to put it against a ThinkPad or other business class. But you can't even configure them as well as mine (GPU) and what you could likely would go too double the price if not more.

Keyboard is one of the favorite knocks on all that are criticized. Along with screen flex. OK if someone is a professional typist? I am not but they are solid and much better than my model of Gateway, which was acceptable but not exciting. And I am not giving in on either of the two previous just acknowledge maybe I have less expertise on judging. I think solid and quality. Dreamer if you read this? Well we must agree to disagree "bad boy".

The screen? I hope all are this good. I know I have a different model but the WXGA+ is great! it is bright and true. From doing music I am aware very, very few have "perfect" pitch/"specific. Most of us have relative/comparative abilities. I must admit I am one of the many not the few. My Gateway was fine. Never bothered me, but oh put them next to each other. More than the Asus being brighter and bolder, the Gateway looks "yellow".

I would prefer a dull textured flat case. I think this Asus is much more stylish than I am. But I must say in no way do I find it over the top or obnoxious. I only bought because of price ($1199) and specs, T9400, 14 WXGA+, 4GB PC2-6400, 320GB HDD and HD3650. Bonus blue tooth, fingerprint reader, camera and more.

I think as a brand I could not really be happier.

Anyone know why the upgrade on Splash's for the P9500 is $447? The release price of T9400 was I believe $316. The release P9500 was $348? Do they send you the T9400 in a gold box to auction on Ebay to offset that insane cost?

The difference between the GPU's (Sager) seems pronounced at this time. In one year because of the new ones they will be considered so close and not cutting edge. They split hairs with the high end cards. Other than the present and future potential economic collapse I would of said the money will lose less value.

Fulle I found your comment on enabling V-sync to be interesting. Do you know the current thought on V-sync with LCD's? I thought it was both unnecessary and caused a performance hit at times? As I said that is what I thought if you could get me up to speed I would appreciate your knowledge. Also I do agree with your assessment that it is not necessary to exceed your LCD refresh rate. But I used to think retarding (V-sync) could bring up it's own issues.