PDA

View Full Version : In need of some advice

2shae
03-08-2009, 04:45 AM
I am a webdesigner/gamer looking for a new laptop, I like 15.4" laptops but 17" is an option
1680x1050 is my min resolution but 1920x1200 is one of my favorites.
Id like a bit of power this time but i really would like a good battery.
My price range is upto 1300$, maybe more depending.
I like the dell xps 1530, my friend has one and i love the 9cell battery and its minimalistic design.

So anyone have any ideas?
Also looking at the shipping costs on here, is it actually gonna cost me $200+ to ship to ireland?!

powerpack
03-08-2009, 03:13 PM
If I were you because not in the States. Asus has international warranty. And because you are in Ireland I must sadly suggest might be cheaper buying closer to home. I do not know all the implications of things such as VAT but consider that and shipping when deciding. Only problem w/Asus is bad battery life.

XPS 1530 fits a lot of you needs. But are you prepared to deal with the badly designed GPU (8600m GT)?

Xith
03-10-2009, 02:25 AM
I hate to ask this, but are there many times where you need to do professional web designing or gaming where there's not an outlet available?

For quite a while, I wanted uber battery life from my laptop, like when I am on a plane and want to watch a movie... then I realized that portable dvd players are made for this, and for 100 bucks, you can get one that can play up to 3 movies on one battery... or I watch a movie on my iPhone.

Gluck with your search.

potent
03-10-2009, 03:46 AM
I hate to ask this, but are there many times where you need to do professional web designing or gaming where there's not an outlet available?

For quite a while, I wanted uber battery life from my laptop, like when I am on a plane and want to watch a movie... then I realized that portable dvd players are made for this, and for 100 bucks, you can get one that can play up to 3 movies on one battery... or I watch a movie on my iPhone.

Gluck with your search.

Take my advice with a grain of salt but as I do a lot of graphic design and a fair share of gaming. No, dont expect to do gaming or web designing on the go where there is no outlet, rather if you attend lectures and want to see some special notes or whatever in uni or if at an airport or a coffee shop you need to check or forward some emails.

Of course, everyone has very different needs, all depends on you but no, I cant say that mobile gaming with no outlet is likely :p