PDA

View Full Version : Np5797, which processor?

Trias
03-17-2009, 10:12 AM
about a month ago i was nearly decided on buying an asus g71g-q1...however since then i've decided that i'm going to 100% be purchasing a sager np5797 from xotic and will be ordering it within the next couple weeks.

here is the build i'm pretty much set on:

17" WUXGA "Glare Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright Glossy Screen (1920x1200)
- Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
- Standard Dead Pixel Policy
- UNSURE ON WHICH CPU
- nVidia GeForce GTX 280M 1,024MB PCI-Express DDR3 DX10 (User Upgradeable)
- None Standard
- ~ 4,096MB DDR3 1066MHz Dual Channel Memory (2 SODIMMS) (Requires Vista 64-Bit to recognize Full 4GB)
- None Standard
- NP579x Orange Frame Trim Color
- ~Combo 8x8x6x4x Dual Layer DVD +/-R/RW 5x DVD-RAM 24x CD-R/RW Drive w/Softwares
- ~ 320GB 7200RPM (Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache)
- None Standard
- None Standard
- Internal 7-in-1 Card Reader (MS/MS Pro/MS Duo/MS Pro Duo/SD/Mini-SD/MMC/RS)
- Internal Bluetooth + EDR
- Built-in Intel® PRO/Wireless 5300 802.11 a/g/n Wi-Fi Link
- None Standard
- Built in 2.0 Megapixel Camera
- None Standard
- Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
- Basic Black Business Case - Included
- Smart Li-ion Battery (8-Cell)
- None Standard
- None Standard
- None Standard
- Integrated Fingerprint Reader
- None Standard
- None Standard
- ~Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit Installed (64&32-Bit CD Included) w/ Drivers & Utilities CD's
- None Standard
- None Standard
- 3 Year Labor* 1 Year Parts Warranty Lifetime 24/7 DOMESTIC Based Toll Free Telephone Tech Support
(Labor Warranty through Xotic PC)

my only real hang-up is processor...i'm in a toss up between the p9600 and the t9800...will i see any real performance gains in terms of playing newer FPS games and LOTRO with the t9800 over the p9600?...would i see an immense difference if i were to purchase one of the more expensive quad-core processors available to this model?(i'm patient enough to save a few additional weeks if the performance gains are worth the cost)

anyone with experience with these processors have any regrets on getting one over another?

any cpu advice would be great, thanks!

Will
NJ

Trias
03-17-2009, 10:14 AM
also any general thoughts on the NP5797 from owners or otherwise would be cool to read; thanks!

robamb2002
03-17-2009, 10:39 AM
OK, so I've got a lot to say here... first and most important. BUY XOTICPC!!!:notworthy:notworthy:XPC::XPC::notworthy :notworthy The NP5797 is my personal fav when it comes to 17" right now. The GPU is second to none and it looks sweet as H3LL IMHO. I have the NP5792 which is an earlier model of the NP5797 and love this machine.

as for the processor choice. I've read that for most instances all else the same an increase in clockspeed of less than .25 GHz is not really noticable. I would say the $200 premium just isn't worth the extra cash, especially since most games are more GPU dependent than CPU.

and last, you will have NO problems playing LOTRO. That is my game of choice right now (Karmyn, lvl 46 Guardian, on Sliverlode... seriously look me up if you play on that server! I need some friends to help and be helped :) ) I run my 8800m gtx at 1900x1200, almost all ultra high settings and 4x AA with only a bit of lagging in the big towns. the gtx 280 should eat this game for a snack! If you want stats on how the 8800 gtx handle different setting I could benchmark the game for you, then just add about 30% to what I get :p

I hope you play silverlode as I would love someone to call on (and be called on) without jumping through all the hoops the clans want :rolleyes2:anyway If you have any questions we would all love to put in our two cents :)

Happy Lappy Hunting!

powerpack
03-17-2009, 11:12 AM
I don't think it is worth $195 for T9800. You can OC the P9600 to 2.93Ghz if you really need the speed. Which I don't think you will.

On the Quad issue? Bleeding edge never makes economic sense. But for some money is less of an issue than for me. $750 too much for me.

Trias
03-17-2009, 12:04 PM
cool, thanks for the input...i'm leaning more toward the P9600 then.

robamb, i play on the Brandywine server heh. Saikou lvl 60 champ and Trias lvl 60 hunter...i'm in a pretty active kinship, we kill the watcher every week currently. i'm looking forward to the book 7 update today hah. I really enjoy the game and hope that i'll be able to play at max settings with an fps of 60ish most of the time.

also i'm thinking of picking up a bunch of new pc games to keep me busy at work, as it is really slow here lately hah.

does anyone have anything bad to say about the 5797? the only negatives i've been able to find out there are that some people had complaints that the fan is loud on the previous 579x iterations...i can't find much at all on the 5797 specifically whether good or bad.

oh, also...how is the screen quality on these machines?

robamb2002
03-17-2009, 12:49 PM
yeah, the fans can get loud on the NP5792 and I think the NP5793 also has the fan issues. I notice them when they kick on, If I have no sound coming from the speakers or headphones. I've found that any audio coming from the machine will drown out any fan noise though. I think people were just trying to find things wrong with the machine :) my old compaq is louder than my NP5792.

I was suprised by how vibrant the colors were on the glossy screen and how sharp everything was at 1900x1200 I did notice a bit of light bleading around the edges, but only on completely black loading screens and DOS.

The number pad takes a little getting used to as it has 3 rows as opposed to the standard 4 rows. nothing debilitating, it just takes a bit of getting used to if you use anything other than the numbers themselves.

Hmm, any other warnings I can think of.... The onboard speakers are quite weak so don't plan on watching movies across a loud room. (they may have updated this since the NP5792 model, I havent seen anyone complain about it since the NP5792) someone with the NP5797 may be able to verify this or discredit it. I got a pair of portable external speakers because I watch movies on it occationally.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

(bummer your on Brandiwine. I need some friends :p)

robamb2002
03-17-2009, 01:05 PM
The content update doesn't really affect me right now, my highest character is still making his way through central Angmar so the addition of Lorien just means it will take me an extra few minutes to log on when I get home :) I love questing through middle earth! It is so much richer experience than other MMORPG I love that you can go to the prancing pony in bree, scale weathertop, visit bag end and rivendell..... you just cannot compare to that! :) :) :)

Anewbus
03-17-2009, 01:25 PM
Personally, I have never seen or heard a laptop with even decent sound from the built in speakers.
Good external speaker sets are rather reasonably priced these days.
If you’re so inclined try hooking your lappy up to your HT system if you have one.:)

The NP59797 is my dream lappy right now. I’m envious.:p
Mmmm NP5797 - *drool* :)

Trias
03-31-2009, 06:41 AM
i'm about ready to make this purchase(within a week probably, no rush because the mobile 280's haven't even arrived yet.)...my last hang up is the screen resolution...any suggestions on either 1680 x 1050 or 1920 x 1200?...my primary use will be for gaming amongst other tasks, and i'm wondering if the higher res will cause any significant reduction in fps performance in games or not.

i've never owned a laptop at either of these high resolutions so any input would be great.

Anewbus
03-31-2009, 10:45 AM
i'm about ready to make this purchase(within a week probably, no rush because the mobile 280's haven't even arrived yet.)...my last hang up is the screen resolution...any suggestions on either 1680 x 1050 or 1920 x 1200?...my primary use will be for gaming amongst other tasks, and i'm wondering if the higher res will cause any significant reduction in fps performance in games or not.

i've never owned a laptop at either of these high resolutions so any input would be great.

If it were me, I'd stick with the 1680x1050 as it is more flexible in downgrading should the need arise. (The 1680x1050 can go down to 800x600 should you ever need to. The 1920x1200 can't go that far).
Also the 1680x1050 is easier on battery life. Yes, you may run into frame rate problems, but maybe not. I think it also depends on the game as well. I think most gamers don't really use 1920x1200 to game in anyway, (I could be wrong as I am not an avid gamer).
You will be surprised how nice 1680x1050 looks anyway.
Ultimately, it's up to you. The 1920x1200 will drop down enough to work through any frame rate problems you may encounter. Also, if you will be ever hooking your lappy to a TV (LCD or Plasma) you may be able to directly match the TV's native resolution which even on 60MHz LCDs is about 1900x1080. (Although, TVs are so adjustable these days 1680x1050 looks decent too).
Anyway, all that is just my opinion.

powerpack
03-31-2009, 04:59 PM
I lean toward 1680x1050 like Anew unless watching HD 1080 is something you will be doing? I say other than that one thing 1050 is high enough. The FPS difference can't say. There is one especially the more eye candy. So yes lower will do better. I think on the very demanding games people play neither at native resolution to increase effects and increase FPS.

Anew I am completely unaware of WUXGA not being able to go as low? When going below the native resolution it is the GPU that dictates? On a further note. The main issue with using non native resolution is interpolation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpolation). Well The WUXGA will not suffer from at 800x600 full screen 4:3 (side boxed) the WSXGA+ will. that is because WUXGA is an integer based ratio.

I could be wrong but sure I am not? You can use the native resolution of any external monitor it goes back to GPU dictating. So if you get WSXGA+ you can certainly watch 1080p on external if notebook is WXGA+. Oh and on external you are stuck at 60Hz that is the notebook screen limitation. Does not carry over to external. GPU limits that and yours won't.

Good luck!

Trias
04-17-2009, 10:13 PM
i ordered it today even though it's on backorder :/...being on backorder saved me the cash discount savings at least since i have no choice but to be patient haha...yay paypal e-check.

i opted for the higher res screen after all after seeing benchmark results on notebook review that appear to be totally acceptable...now to just order a booq python xl and i'll be set.

thank you everyone for helping me with my decisions...i'm looking forward to good results with xotic!

Trias
04-19-2009, 03:51 PM
ordered it on Friday; can't wait!

Sager NP5797 Custom Notebook (Built on Clevo M570ETU) - ETA Mid to Late April
- Display: 17" WUXGA "Glare Type" Super Cl
- Arctic Silver: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
- Dead Pixel Policy: Standard Dead Pixel Policy
- Processor: ~Intel® P9600 45nm "Montevina" C
- Video Card: nVidia GeForce GTX 280M 1,024MB
- External Monitor Video Adapter: None Standard
- Ram: ~ 4,096MB DDR3 1066MHz Dual Chan
- Intel® Robson Turbo Memory: None Standard
- Exterior Finish: NP579x Orange Frame Trim
- Optical Drive: ~Combo 8x8x6x4x Dual Layer DVD +
- Primary Hard Drive: ~ 320GB 7200RPM (Serial-ATA II 3
- External Hard Drive (Back Up): None Standard
- Floppy Drive: None Standard
- Memory Card Reader: Internal 7-in-1 Card Reader (MS/
- Bluetooth: Internal Bluetooth + EDR
- Wireless Network: Built-in Intel® PRO/Wireless 530
- Wireless Network Accessories: None Standard
- Camera: Built in 2.0 Megapixel Camera
- TV Tuner: None Standard
- Sound Card: Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audi
- Case: Basic Black Business Case - Incl
- Battery: Smart Li-ion Battery (8-Cell)
- Car Adapter: None Standard
- Spare AC Adapter: None Standard
- Port Replicator / Dock / Hub's: None Standard
- Fingerprint Reader: Integrated Fingerprint Reader
- Mouse / Keyboard Accessories: None Standard
- Notebook Cooler: None Standard
- Operating System: ~Windows Vista Home Premium 64-B
- "Medialess" Microsoft Office Sof: None Standard
- Software Bundle (Not Installed): None Standard
- Warranty: 3 Year Labor* 1 Year Parts Warra

Trias
04-19-2009, 03:52 PM
i went with wuxga cause i plan to swap in a blu-ray drive along with a quad-core by this time next year when prices on both are more reasonable...possibly will consider a solid state drive if they drop down in 2010

i was reading about performance results from equally built systems on the notebook review forums; and basically this system will eat everything for lunch in terms of performance except for crysis maxed out...i'm looking forward to gaming on this machine for at least a couple of years.

oh, i also ordered a booq python xl backpack for this beast...a bit expensive but i want to ensure it is protected on the go.

powerpack
04-19-2009, 04:00 PM
Yes and the question is?

Trias
04-19-2009, 04:03 PM
Yes and the question is?

no question, just giving an update on what i ordered based on more thought andfrom previous answers given in this thread

powerpack
04-19-2009, 06:54 PM
It sounds like you bought an awesome notebook!