PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a laptop to use for gaming and daily use.

Vesperia
05-03-2009, 10:42 PM
Hi i am looking for a replacement for my m1710 because its been dying on me over and over again.
General Questions

1) What is your budget?
Budget is around 2500ish dollars. if it is an exceptional machine that costs more. im sure i can work something out

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
d. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) What country are you buying this in?
Hong Kong, but i am shipping it to US for pick up i think. or to HK. doesnt really matter.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
Not really.

5) What tasks will you be performing with the notebook?
Gaming, internet, chat, daily life stuffs, etc etc :)

6) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places or leaving it on your desk?
mostly at home, i have a tabletpc for other stuffs.

7) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games?
World of warcraft, those games u find on msn, Crysis, and other random games.

8) How many hours of battery life do you need?
won't matter much, it'll stay plugged most of the time.

9) Do you mind buying online without seeing the notebook in person?
i don't mind. just as long as the laptop is decent

10) What OS do you prefer? (more details below)
doesn't really matter to me

Screen Specifics

11) From the choices below, what screen resolutions would you prefer? (more details below)
Widescreen
f. WUXGA - 1920x1200; Wider viewing version of UXGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.

12) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non glossy screen?
Glossy or matte, doesn't matter to me :)

Build Quality and Design

13) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
It does, but performance> looks. if its a good laptop i dont mind if it looks dull and weird.

14) When are you buying this laptop and how long do you want this laptop to last?
i want it to last for at least 2-3 years.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you want; 80GB, 160GB, 250GB, 320GB, 500GB, 1TB, or 1.5TB?
hmm 320ish GB will do fine.

16) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, CD/DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?
Be nice if it has an optical driver with it. don't need blu-ray tho. Got a ps3 for that :D

17) What speed CPU/Processor would you like? Dual core or Quad Core CPU?
Be best if it was 2.66Ghz+ Dual core, or a quad core equiv.

I have been looking at the Clevo D900F, the Asus W90, but right now im really attracted by the new Clevo M980NU... that laptop is nice looking and it looks really good. But i am open for suggestions :)

Vesperia
05-05-2009, 08:43 AM
*waits for reply* ><

powerpack
05-05-2009, 11:21 AM
You have found the class of systems that fit your wants. Being in Hong Kong for warranty service the Asus might have the advantage with global warranty?

Have you looked at MSI GT725 - 212 (http://www.xoticpc.com/msi-gt725-212-p-2554.html?wconfigure=yes) I suggest not because better than the ones you mention. But because it might meet your needs and substantially less cost. Just wanted to throw it in.

Good luck.

Ryvaeus
05-09-2009, 01:41 AM
The m1710's precursor - the Dell Inspiron XPS Gen 2 - is my current laptop of almost 5 years. Were your problems with it related to the adaptor and battery? Those issues are what's causing me to finally buy the rig in my sig. I'm surprised this old Dell has lasted as long as it did, though, and I'm sure with a replacement (although I've been through three adaptors already) it'll run for a few more. But now it's more than just convenience; I want the latest and greatest! ;)

My needs match yours almost to the dot, but with the additional requirement of portability which is why I put the Sager NP882 at the top of my list. If not for that, My choice would have most definitely been a Gateway FX P-7805u, because of it's supposed great bang-for-buck. Since that's not here on XoticPC, I'd instead recommend the ASUS W90VP-A1, because in my opinion it's the sexiest 17-incher out there. :)