mikeyj
05-10-2009, 11:57 PM
1) What is your budget?
around 2500
2) What size notebook would you prefer?
17 inch+
3) What country are you buying this in?
US
4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
leaning towards Sager
5) What tasks will you be performing with the notebook?
mainly gaming and ocassionally AutoCAD
6) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places or leaving it on your desk?
occassionally moving between desks
7) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games?
FPS like CoD 4/WaW, FSX, and WoW
8) How many hours of battery life do you need?
will almost always be plugged in
9) Do you mind buying online without seeing the notebook in person?
would prefer to inspect in person but no shops around here sell anything high end
10) What OS do you prefer? (more details below)
-Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit
-Windows Vista Ultimate 64-Bit
have my own vista ultimate 64 i can load on it, plan to move to windows 7 later in the year
Screen Specifics

11) From the choices below, what screen resolutions would you prefer? (more details below)
f. WUXGA - 1920x1200; Wider viewing version of UXGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.

12) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non glossy screen? im not sure on this, i still use crt monitors on my desktops. had a gateway with a glossy screen with anti-glare coating, it looked great.

Build Quality and Design

13) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
not very, although light up leds look cool
14) When are you buying this laptop and how long do you want this laptop to last?
within a month or so, hope it lasts long, atleast 4 years
Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you want; 80GB, 160GB, 250GB, 320GB, 500GB, 1TB, or 1.5TB?
250-320 should be plenty
16) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, CD/DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?
Blu-Ray please
17) What speed CPU/Processor would you like? Dual core or Quad Core CPU?
generally faster is better, quad prefered but intel extremes are too pricey for me

I have been really considering a sager 9280 build with i7 920 and 6gb of ram. I have also seen the clevo M980NU (supposedly a sager 9250). From what I gather both should be available with the next month or so. I am wondering which is the better choice for primarilly a gaming laptop. The M980NU should have alot better graphics with the 280M sli cards, but the 9280 has alot better processor and also triple channel memory. Just how much of performance difference would there be on these two systems. It also occurs to me that the 9280 may hold its overall performance better down the road since the i7 is a new platform than the core2. Is the M980NU's sli capability worth waiting for or is the 9280 just a better choice overall?

Joseph@XoticPC
05-11-2009, 09:48 AM
I think that decision has a lot to do with the type of games you play. Some games are more GPU dependent and some benefit more from having a better CPU. I suggest looking at the fps and cpu benchmark differences that we have posted up under our review section "http://www.xoticpcforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6". Even though the Asus W90 is an Ati crossfire based GPU configuration, at least you can see the difference it makes having the I7 vs. some of the better mobile processors on the market. The performance of the 4870 isnt quite up to par with a 280M, but its not too shabby either. I am curious to see how 280M sli will benchmark, but my guess is the I7 will win out overall in the end. If the 9250 will be availble in the next month it would surprize me.
However we will carry both the 9280 and the 9250 so you could wait and see. Trust me when I say that as soon as we can get our hands on a 9250 there will be benchmarks for you to see. I think you are on the right path from the requirements you posted. As long as you are focusing more on gaming then CAD...the quadro series Nvidia cards still perform better for proffessional applications then the gaming cards do. Feel free to send an email or open a chat up with any questions that come up.

Joe

mikeyj
05-11-2009, 01:16 PM
Thank Joseph, I think I will just stick with the gut and get the 9280. The sli would be nice to have but not all games support sli and having a single gpu solution that is close to a 2 gpu ATI solution should handle all but the toughest games I can throw at it. Plus the better system performance from the i7 is better suited for what I need. As for gaming cards and CAD, I am pushing AutoCad with an athlon 64 3000+ and an 8x apg 6600GT in my 4-5 year old desktop right now, it does fair enough when rendering although it can be quite slow at times and either laptop should be a minimun 10 times better lol.
Is there anyone with the older model of this, 9262 I think, that could comment on the screen and keyboard? I'm just wondering how comfortable the keyboard is and what the viewing angles are like since those machines should be very similar. My last laptop was a gateway p7811fx (melted in a fire :() with a glossy screen with an anti-glare coating and it looked great and you could see these screen easily at almost any angle and I hoping for something similar to that.