PDA

View Full Version : 15.4 laptop questions for casual gamer

coriglione
05-19-2009, 06:57 PM
1) What is your budget? around 2ooo

2) What size notebook would you prefer? c. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) What country are you buying this in? USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like? no

5) What tasks will you be performing with the notebook? some photo/video editing - some gaming

6) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places or leaving it on your desk? most of the time on my desk but i do take it with me sometimes

7) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games? most recently some WOW and counterstrike - would like to be able to play newer games if I ever choose to buy them

8) How many hours of battery life do you need? couple hours is fine

9) Do you mind buying online without seeing the notebook in person? do not mind buying online

10) What OS do you prefer? (more details below)
-Windows XP Home SP3 or -Windows Vista Home Premium 32-Bit or 64-Bit - no real preference

Screen Specifics

11) From the choices below, what screen resolutions would you prefer? (more details below)
e. WSXGA+ - 1680x1050;
f. WUXGA - 1920x1200;
12) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non glossy screen?
either is fine

Build Quality and Design

13) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? yes

14) When are you buying this laptop and how long do you want this laptop to last? as long as possible

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you want; 250GB-500GB,
16) Do you need an optical drive? CDRW/DVD-ROM, CD/DVD Burner

17) What speed CPU/Processor would you like? Dual core or Quad Core CPU? i would like as powerful as i can for the price

I have recently been looking for a nice laptop to get. In my vast searching of the internet came across Xoticpc and am extremely happy that I did. It really seems like a quality place for this purchase. As stated above I mainly do just the normal computer uses but the laptop I have now is not really up to gaming.(HPdv7) I do not currently do much intense gaming, mainly just older titles but am interested in purchasing newer games. To keep myself from rambling on forever I will just stick to the main questions. I have been looking at 2 laptops, (can list exact builds if desired but thought I would TRY to keep this as short and to the point as possible)
Force 3551 - built up pretty good for XP ($1481)
- vista with 4gb ram ($1543)
Sager NP8662 - pretty well built ($2174)

I guess the real question is if it really is a huge gain to go with the Sager for a casual gamer like myself. I could go on and on about the different ways I am looking at this purchase but will end and see what you extremely smart people have to advise.

Thank you very much and I apologize for the length of this post.

Matt

BKR2879
05-19-2009, 07:22 PM
The 8662 is the most powerful 15" laptop you'll find atm.

While you may not need all it's power right now, it should easily last you several years into the newer games that will come out.

Better to get the best you can now, especially if you plan to try and keep it for 2-3 years or so.

Mine is currently being built and I can't wait to get it here and work with it,.

powerpack
05-19-2009, 07:51 PM
Sure NP8662 is a good choice.

But consider:

MSI GT627-218
(http://www.xoticpc.com/msi-gt627-218-p-2555.html)
ASUS G50VT-B1 (http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-g50vtb1-p-2558.html)

coriglione
05-20-2009, 10:49 AM
thank you for your input. now hopefully i will be able to decide. i am leaning towards the 8662.

BKR2879
05-20-2009, 11:28 AM
The big thing that locked me into the 8662 was the 260M video card.

Especially now that Photoshop uses the GPU for some functions, it's made life a lot sweeter on my main PC and should on the laptop as well hopefully.

I saw the ASUS in person and it just struck me kinda odd. Not that it was bad per se, but something about the look of it just didn't work for me.

I don't care if the case is plain and boring, as long as whats under the hood is bloody powerful (and stable). :D

powerpack
05-20-2009, 12:42 PM
BK if you know what version of photoshop makes use of GPU I would appreciate. It would help me to spread the word. Also I think the NP8662 is the best I recommend the others as alternatives to save money and maybe some do not need all the power of the NP8662.

And yea I agree with you, I don't need my notebook to represent me. I don't even find ThinkPad's to be a problem. That said, says more about me and my taste.

BK has video editing applications started to take advantage of the GPU?

BKR2879
05-20-2009, 12:56 PM
BK if you know what version of photoshop makes use of GPU I would appreciate. It would help me to spread the word. Also I think the NP8662 is the best I recommend the others as alternatives to save money and maybe some do not need all the power of the NP8662.

CS4 is the first version to make use of GPU acceleration.

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/39433/140/

Quick quote from that article....

TG Daily had the opportunity to play with the beta version of CS4, code-named Stonehenge, for several days and we have to admit that we are deeply impressed. It is the first commercial software we are aware of that leverages GPU acceleration, which dramatically improves the performance of certain components of the application.

On a massive image (5000 x 5000 pixels or so) it's fun to use the zoom tool and zoom in and out on the image. The GPU feature basically redraws the image in real time instead of "popping" to the new size like it used to.

This video clip shows it, but its more impressive in person, trust me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2-cOIIXzoQ

Couple other vids on it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KQNyHTuj8Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaqOnzsUn2k

coriglione
06-03-2009, 10:23 PM
just as a note I ended up going with the 8662.

1x Sager NP8662 (Built on Clevo M860TU)

- Warranty: 3 Year Labor* 1 Year Parts Warra
- Software Bundle (Not Installed): No Software Bundle
- Microsoft Office Software: No Office Software
- Operating System: ~Windows Vista Ultimate 64-Bit I
- Notebook Cooler: No Notebook Cooler
- Mouse / Keyboard Accessories: No External Keyboard or Mouse
- Fingerprint Reader: Integrated Fingerprint Reader
- Port Replicator / Dock / Adapter: No Dock/Hub/Adapter
- Spare AC Adapter: None Standard*
- Car Adapter: No Car Adapter
- Battery: Smart Li-ion Battery (8-Cell)
- Case: Basic Black Business Case - Incl
- Sound Card: Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audi
- TV Tuner: No TV Tuner
- Camera: Built in 2.0 Megapixel Camera
- Wireless Network Accessories: No Network Accessory
- Wireless Network: Built-in Intel® PRO/Wireless 530
- Bluetooth: Internal Bluetooth + EDR
- Memory Card Reader: Internal 7-in-1 Card Reader (MS/
- Floppy Drive: No Floppy Drive
- External Hard Drive (Back Up): No Back Up Hard Drive
- Primary Hard Drive: ~ 320GB 7200RPM (Serial-ATA II 3
- Optical Drive: ~Combo 8x8x6x4x Dual Layer DVD +
- Exterior Finish: Standard Finish
- Intel® Robson Turbo Memory: None Standard--
- Ram: ~ 4,096MB DDR3 1066MHz Dual Chan
- External Monitor Video Adapter: No Video Adapter
- Video Card: nVidia GeForce GTX 260M 1,024MB
- Processor: ~Intel® P9700 45nm "Montevina" C
- Dead Pixel Policy: Standard Dead Pixel Policy
- Arctic Silver: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
- Display: 15.4" WSXGA+ "Glare Type" Superso far I am very happy with my experience in this purchase. The feedback in the forums and the many emails I sent Justin W I am very impressed and am really looking forward to getting my laptop. I know I will be very happy with it. So thank you for the forum feedback and a big thanks to Justin W and the rest of xoticpc. Hopefully very soon you can add me to the long list of very satisfied and loyal customers.
THANKS

Matt

powerpack
06-03-2009, 10:26 PM
Good choice!

Chris
06-04-2009, 12:38 AM
Exact same config I went with for my 8662. Hope you enjoy it :)