PDA

View Full Version : 5793 owner eyeballing Win7

Boogieman117
05-29-2009, 03:22 PM
Hi all,

I'm considering 'updating' my operating system from XP to the RC of Win7 to see if I'm going to like the next variant of hellspawn that Microsoft throws at us.

Do the Vista drivers from the Sager website / Vista drivers CD that came packaged with the system when I ordered it work with Win7? Has anyone with a 5793 upgraded to Win7, if so, what are your thoughts?

I'm only really worried about making sure all of the drivers play nice before I do a reinstall.

Thanks,
Boogieman117

BKR2879
05-29-2009, 03:44 PM
Even if the manufacturer doesn't have "Win7" drivers yet, I've not come across one thing on 3 machines (1 desktop, 1 laptop, 1 netbook) that Win7 didn't have drivers for through MS already.

Just about every Vista driver will go in fine if you need to use them, though you might have to install them through the device manager and not with the usual EXE installer.

It's quick, it's stable, and it's a night and day difference compared to the abortion that is Vista.

Get the RC-1 now and try it, it's worth it, and usable until next year with the trial key.

http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/Windows-7/download.aspx

I've got a USB key here with the DVD installer on it just waiting for my 8662 to arrive. :D

Boogieman117
05-29-2009, 07:23 PM
Even if the manufacturer doesn't have "Win7" drivers yet, I've not come across one thing on 3 machines (1 desktop, 1 laptop, 1 netbook) that Win7 didn't have drivers for through MS already.

Just about every Vista driver will go in fine if you need to use them, though you might have to install them through the device manager and not with the usual EXE installer.

It's quick, it's stable, and it's a night and day difference compared to the abortion that is Vista.

Get the RC-1 now and try it, it's worth it, and usable until next year with the trial key.

http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/Windows-7/download.aspx

I've got a USB key here with the DVD installer on it just waiting for my 8662 to arrive. :D

I understand, pal. I've got the Win7 32-bit and 64-bit already on DVD+R format, complete with the keys ready to roll. :wink2:

That's what I've been hearing that it's quick, stable, and night/day, that's why I'm itching to try it. I have it running on a virtual machine, but am hesitant to upgrade to it. I still need to drop $50 to max the machine to 4GB of RAM and am planning on installing the 64-bit variant of Win7 to utilize it.

I'm new to dual-booting, so I'm of the idea of blowing away my current OS of 32-bit XPSP3, but am cautious of not having all the drivers required for the 5793, thus my question of "will the drivers I have from the Vista driver disk" work for Win7.

So, I guess I need to find a way to 'snapshot' my current installation of XP and/or create a 'ghost' image of my current installation, just in case (I'm a good lil' IT guy). Any ideas for freeware 'ghost' imaging or drive backup software?

BKR2879
05-29-2009, 07:46 PM
I've never seen or used a free drive image program.

I personally use Acronis and like it, but there are others out there as well.

In the old days before they were bought out by Norton, Ghost used to be one wicked nice little floppy sized program to clone drives with or make drive images, but now it's a bloated piece of junk in my opinion.

If you just pop in the disc and install it will set up all the dual booting for you if you want to go that route. I never do, though I couldn't tell you why. ;)

The other option is to pick up a spare laptop HD thats cheap but large enough to mess with for a bit and get a feel for things, then you can always pop the old drive back in later. That was how I made my first foray into Win7 on my older laptop. It makes it completely risk free. :D

Boogieman117
05-31-2009, 05:44 PM
Well, I acquired Acronis based from your recommendation and made a partition/full backup of my XP installation, then installed Windows7/64bit on the 5793.

The only thing that the W7 install didn't catch was the video driver, the camera driver, and the fingerprint driver. Currently, I'm running with everything else normally.

I don't have internet at home (until Tuesday), but things seem to be rolling along nicely.

BKR2879
05-31-2009, 05:53 PM
Glad to hear it!

Once you can get online, those other drivers will likely install through Windows Update on their own.

Could always head out to a McDonalds or some coffee shop with free Wifi and do the updates..... ;)

fallenxlionheart
06-01-2009, 06:43 AM
How is windows 7 going 4 u right now? After reading this discussion I'm a little curious as to try out windows 7

Boogieman117
06-01-2009, 11:22 AM
How is windows 7 going 4 u right now? After reading this discussion I'm a little curious as to try out windows 7

Do you want a full-blown review with pcmark info and the bells and whistles or my all-around opinion?