PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Storage

Raypro
01-31-2008, 10:49 AM
I'll be getting rid of my desktop to get a DTR notebook and was wondering what hardware is available out there that would allow me to hook up USB external hard drives to a wireless router and allow it to be shared between my wife's laptop and the one I will be getting.
Right now I have them hooked up to my desktop with the sharing turned on to be accessed by my wife's laptop and my xbox but once I get rid of my desktop I won't be doing that anymore, and I don't want to be plugging them into my notebook all the time.

I just want to know my options to have a nice clean set up via wireless routers or some other form of wireless networking that won't require me to plug in storage to my laptops.

kpauls
01-31-2008, 11:24 AM
I've seen some wireless router products from Linksys that have exactly what you mention - a USB port to connect an external drive. ("Wireless-N Gigabit Router with Storage Link")

I have not used any of these products personally.

Justin@XoticPC
01-31-2008, 11:50 AM
I use a similar device at home. I use the D-Link Xtreme N Wireless Router that has a USB Port on the back. I use both my printer and access a USB HDD through it When printing it allows me to print documents wirelessly or use data off of the drive.

robamb2002
01-31-2008, 12:55 PM
I've noticed that linksys sells a nice version of this, but it seems to be priced much higher than other manufacturers. I know linksys has quality products but I've seen similar product at half the cost! After researching laptops and finding out about "Brand Name" vs. "generic" benifits, I am now questioning decisions in other electronics. Has anyone dealt with some of the cheaper wireless routers with usb connections?