PDA

View Full Version : How to install Windows 7 ultimate student license to np8690 (ordered without OS)

bosschex
03-10-2010, 08:25 PM
I just recently ordered a np8690 without an OS. This might be a newbie question but... Will I be able to install my windows 7 ultimate student license on it? I figured out that it is an upgrade version (because it said pre-existing os upgrade or something). So should I return it and get a full version of it? Or could just do a fresh install, would it work that way?

singleshot71
03-10-2010, 09:22 PM
my limited understanding is that Windows is tied to the MB.There is a sticker on the bottom of my laptops that has a product key on it that I have to enter when I do a fresh install.

McDaddy
03-10-2010, 09:22 PM
You will need the full version of windows 7 ultimate. If you know of anyone with the full version cd you can use theres but when asked for a cd key just use yours.

What i did to save some cash was use my windows 7 ultimate that i already had bought and installed on my main gaming rig and just bought another key for it to load on to my laptop.

singleshot71
03-10-2010, 09:32 PM
You will need the full version of windows 7 ultimate. If you know of anyone with the full version cd you can use theres but when asked for a cd key just use yours.

What i did to save some cash was use my windows 7 ultimate that i already had bought and installed on my main gaming rig and just bought another key for it to load on to my laptop.
How much was the extra key?

McDaddy
03-10-2010, 10:33 PM
$25 on ebay
iv got 2 computers and a laptop that i upgraded with the same cd and i just bought the key.

carlobee
03-10-2010, 11:34 PM
do you have a cd of any previous OS you had? like XP or Vista? why not install it first and then install your Windows 7 using your upgrade disc?

You can actually do a fresh install from the upgrade disc but it requires a tweak in the registry. I would not really risk doing it that's why i prefer the old-fashioned double install method when using an upgrade disc.

http://storeyourpicture.com/images/signature_laptop.jpg

Maverick494
03-10-2010, 11:52 PM
there is an easier way altogether when considering windows 7. Go download the full version install .iso from here (http://techpp.com/2009/11/11/download-windows-7-iso-official-direct-download-links/) start the install. It will already be installed when it asks for a key and your key is a valid key... off you go.