PDA

View Full Version : speedstep...

bargegod
04-27-2008, 06:36 PM
does ANYONE know how to go about turning off the enhanced speedstep technology? i stay plugged in and am not worried about battery consumption. i hv the E6850 which SHOULD BE running at 3000mhz or so and it runs at 1995mhz because of speedstep... plz help. thanx

jameslee
04-27-2008, 06:46 PM
go into your control panel and go to power options. change it to high performance. that should do the trick.

bargegod
04-27-2008, 07:01 PM
lol. i wish that fixed the problem. i did that LONNNNNNNNNNNG ago though and when i run pcwizard2008 it shows in real time my core clock speeds....im lost for words or ideas. thanx for the reply.

bargegod
04-27-2008, 07:04 PM
even on CPU-Z it shows 1994mhz and no where close to 3000mhz.

jameslee
04-27-2008, 09:47 PM
what about adjusting the advanced power setting. changeing it there should do the trick. it has an option for proccessor power managment check and see if the minimum isnt set for 100%. if that dont work then im just a stumped as your are.

lol i just messed around with it on my lappy and it does the same thing. i hope you get this figured out.

RaderCad
04-28-2008, 02:20 AM
I think I know what is wrong. Or at least what you may be looking at. :?

The problem is your speed stepping and it can be disabled if you wish to do so. It will lower the clock speed when not much is happening to reduce heat. Anyway I found the answer here.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/245184-29-intel-e6850-problem

bargegod
04-28-2008, 03:57 AM
jameslee i did that too. i got all excited when i saw the more opttions THAT screen offrered me but again...NOTHING. no change is the speed. i was told to disable it in the bios but there isnt anything to disable in the bios or at least my PHOENIX bios wont let me. if you know where in the bios i need to go plz step up, but it isnt THAT big of an area for options to change...remember i am running Vista Ultimate 64bit too. thanx all.

RaderCad
04-28-2008, 12:29 PM
I do not have your rig, yet, but I am going to order one soon. That is why I care about these forums. Heading off problems prior to arrival. Yes I even read manuals. :D

After reading about your 'problem' I do not think it is a problem. Even if you could I don't think you should disable this feature in BIOS.

It is a power and heat saving device. When the processor is not doing much or nothing at all this feature will under-clock the CPU and lower the voltage to it. Great stuff for saving energy and lowering the heat produced, which should allow your laptop to live longer and save some energy at the same time. After all this is why we get these new rigs, they should be smart. How many of you run your car motor at maximum cruising RPM while sitting at a stop light? :roll:

Again! If you run the Windows experience index and it matches, or is close to, 'normal' for your rig then speed stepping works as advertised.

Or! Try some of the other hated performance indexing to see if you are at the norm for your rig.

If you want to see something shocking take a look at the timings for each individual core. :shock:

bargegod
04-28-2008, 02:06 PM
i worked offshore for 8 yrz. i know ALL about the boat life. lol as for the speedstep, i am not able to disable it per sager tech. oh well i tried. thanx. laterz.......