PDA

View Full Version : How To Make Windows 7 USB Installation Disk

SmogHog
10-24-2010, 08:56 PM
Install Windows 7 in as little as 5 minutes by doing it from a USB flash drive instead of a DVD.

You Will Need:
A working WinXP,Vista or W7 PC
A blank USB flash drive 4gb or larger.
A Windows 7 ISO either 64bit or 32bit(I recommend 64bit)
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/14709-Windows-7-Digital-River-direct-links-English-Spanish-German-French-X86-amp-X64
Microsoft USB/DVD Download Tool
http://download.cnet.com/Windows-7-USB-DVD-Download-Tool/3000-18513_4-10972600.html
Asus Windows 7 Home Premium Sources Folder(0ptional)
http://www.mediafire.com/?olzmyiooy2i

1-If you don't have a clean Windows 7 ISO make one from the links I suppied above.
If you have a Windows 7 DVD you can make an ISO using the Ultra ISO program.
There's many Windows 7 ISOs on the net but be careful where you get it from(malware).Always check the hashes using a hash checker that they match ones published by Microsoft blogs.

2-Install the USB/DVD Tool

To make a copy of your Windows 7 ISO file:

Click the Windows Start button, and click Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool in the All Programs list to open the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool.
In the Source File box, type the name and path of your Windows 7 ISO file, or click Browse and select the file from the Open dialog box. Click Next.
Select USB Device to create a copy on a USB flash drive or select DVD disk to create a copy on a DVD disk.
If you are copying the file to a USB flash drive, select your USB device in the drop-down list and click Begin copying.
3-Open the files on the USB drive and place the optional unpacked 7z of the Asus Sources Folder labeled $OEM$ into the Windows 7 Sorces Folder shown in the picture below.

This $OEM$ folder will give you all the Asus logos that come on an Asus factory install of Windows 7

http://i46.tinypic.com/29dizjs.jpg

On your laptop use the Fn+?? keys to boot from the USB stick to install windows from it.

You can use the Microsoft USB/DVD Tool to make installation disks of many ISOs including othe OS and Office.

johnwright
11-14-2010, 02:17 AM
You can make a Windows installation disc 7 USB using the following procedure.
1. First, you must connect the USB to laptop and back up all data on USB.
2. You must download VirtualBox portable, double-click the executable file and extract the contents of your USB stick.
3. Now go to your laptop via USB in VirtualBox, and run the file. Exe.
4.You must create a virtual disk and install Windows 7 on a USB key. Follow the installation of Windows 7 on your virtual guide to complete the process.
5. Once you have completed the installation process, you can safely close VirtualBox and remove the USB key.
6. Now you can use this USB Windows 7 on a Windows machine you want. To use Windows 7 on another machine, connect to Windows 7 USB, open the USB drive and run the portable VirtualBox file.

johnwright
11-14-2010, 04:44 AM
You can make a Windows installation disc 7 USB using the following procedure.
1. First, you must connect the USB to laptop and back up all data on USB.
2. You must download VirtualBox portable, double-click the executable file and extract the contents of your USB stick.
3. Now go to your laptop via USB in VirtualBox, and run the file. Exe.
4.You must create a virtual disk and install Windows 7 on a USB key. Follow the installation of Windows 7 on your virtual guide to complete the process. 5. Once you have completed the installation process, you can safely close VirtualBox and remove the USB key.
6. Now you can use this USB Windows 7 on a Windows machine you want. To use Windows 7 on another machine, connect to Windows 7 USB, open the USB drive and run the portable VirtualBox file.

SmogHog
11-15-2010, 07:33 PM
Why go through all that when Microsofts USB/DVD Tool is simple,clean and easy.

BTW-JohnWright,did you join this forum only to spam us with your signature?

EvokedShade
11-16-2010, 12:22 AM
Hey now. I have some respect for you cuz of all the information you've taken time searching out and then copy and pasting on these forums. That helps save people time which is great. However, just because someone else posts a different way to acomplish the same goal is no reason to pick childish fights. No one else that I've seen did that crap to you when you tried to 1-up a few people. Relax. Ok? They're just trying to help like you are.

- E.S.

SmogHog
11-16-2010, 01:06 AM
A differing opinion is always welcome.

A one time link that is directly relative to the article under discussion in the thread is somewhat different than having the same advertisement link in every post.

I'll now take a short departure from making forum posts and give you the oportunity to carry the ball.

I'm sure you will do a good job.

EvokedShade
11-16-2010, 01:25 AM
By the way, SmogHog, I prefer the way you origionally posted about creating a Window's installation flash drive. Reason being is I like fresh installs VS windows upgrades. :p

Completely up to you if you want to take a break. Just seemed like to me you were trying to pick on the individual and I just happend to say something about it. ;)

It is just a sig after all. No biggy man. :rolleyes: