PDA

View Full Version : Intel Lowers SSD Prices

SmogHog
11-12-2010, 06:48 PM
Also Intel adds 120gb SSD to it's lineup.

New pricing for the Intel X25-M in 80GB form has been set to $199, while the 160GB version is now priced at $415. In addition, Intel has gone and released a 120GB model, which the chip maker plans to sell for $249.

Still too rich for your blood? Welcome to the world of SSDs, and not even a price break can hide the fact that these suckers carry a heavy premium when compared to mechanical hard drives. But hey, at least they've finally reached 'affordable' status,

Keep in mind the next generation SSDs with SATA III 6gb/s support are very close to launch.

Maverick494
11-12-2010, 06:58 PM
Also Intel adds 120gb SSD to it's lineup.

New pricing for the Intel X25-M in 80GB form has been set to $199, while the 160GB version is now priced at $415. In addition, Intel has gone and released a 120GB model, which the chip maker plans to sell for $249.

Still too rich for your blood? Welcome to the world of SSDs, and not even a price break can hide the fact that these suckers carry a heavy premium when compared to mechanical hard drives. But hey, at least they've finally reached 'affordable' status,

Keep in mind the next generation SSDs with SATA III 6gb/s support are very close to launch.

in this economy I don't consider 2.49 per gigabyte afforable. Especially when a mechanical hybrid drive is .22 cents per gigabyte.

SmogHog
11-12-2010, 07:04 PM
in this economy I don't consider 2.49 per gigabyte afforable. Especially when a mechanical hybrid drive is .22 cents per gigabyte.

Sorry,but I do.

coyoteblue
11-12-2010, 07:12 PM
Good to hear prices are continuing to drop. Everyone has a different "bang for buck" level, and they're approaching mine. Not there yet, but hopefully by the middle of next year.

SmogHog
11-12-2010, 07:36 PM
The big knock on Intels SSDs was the low write speeds when compared to SSDs with the Bearfoot Controller in SSDs like the OCZ Vertex.The Intels have excellent read speeds.

The newest SSDs with the SandForce 1200 controller like the OCZ Vertex2 put a big hit in Intel's SSD sales with their superior performance for SATA II drives.

singleshot71
11-17-2010, 04:30 AM
Ok, this January I'm losing my job. (no bills to worry me) FedEx is giving me $9000.00, I was thinking of putting an SSD in here. Not going with MC, which one should be the best? And are you saying in the next couple of months there will be a whole new gen of them in the market place? I was looking for AT LEAST 260gb to be worth my time and money. I'm liking the Kingstons. Not sure if I can just clone my current HD or a fresh install would be best?

SmogHog
11-17-2010, 10:58 PM
For present day notebooks with Windows 7 installed I highly recommend the OCZ Vertex2 family of SSDs with the SandForce 1200 controller.