PDA

View Full Version : I need help choosing a computer : )

burkle25
07-15-2007, 07:20 AM
I've had a Dell Inspiron for the past 3 years and it's time to upgrade. I was going to go for another dell, but the new inspiron line still isn't too appealing and I also want a change. I was going to get another dell because I'm used to the support and also the accidental damage protection, but then I read that xoticpc offers it also. soo woo hoo I can get a computer that also looks awesome.

So I'm looking to get 15.4" laptop. I will be mostly using it for uploading and editing photographs with photoshop, watching movies/tv, multitasking, and also some gaming (hitman and waiting for the new splinter cell). Two that I have been looking at are the Sager NP2090 and the Asus G1S.

My specs for dell I thought about getting:

Inspiron 1520 Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7300 (2.0GHz/800Mhz FSB/4MB cache)
Vista Home Premium Edition ... upgrading to Ultimate
System Color Midnight Blue
2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz
LCD Panel High Resolution, glossy widescreen 15.4 inch display (1680x1050)
Video Card 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 8600M GT
Hard Drive 160G 7200RPM SATA HDD
DVD+/-RW Drive
Sound Card Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy™HD Software Edition
Wireless Networking Cards Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card
Camera Integrated 2.0M Pixel Webcam
Battery Options 85Whr Lithium Ion Battery (9 cell)
Limited Warranty, Services and Support Options Get $50 in Dell Dollars with 4 Yr Ltd Warranty and At-Home Service
Dell On Call Dell On Call, 30day, Getting started Assistance, unlimited incidents
CompleteCare Accidental Damage Service Add Accidental Damage and LoJack Theft Protection to 4Yr Warr.
Additional Battery 56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Additional Battery
Bluetooth Options Built-in Bluetooth capability (2.0 EDR)
USB 2.0 External TV Tuner with Remote Control

.... any help will be greatly appreciated :D

PatQC
07-19-2007, 03:56 PM
I was also interested with the dell 1520 but many criticts his cpu and fan sound, granny screen (think its only 256 000 color 4bit)... Also GPU got 256 mb total, when NP2090 got same graphic card but with 512mb (can go 1gb with the CPU ram).
Also, dell screen is glossy, so got reflection of light, less during time of battery. The matte screen at xoticpc for np2090 seem perfect for game, movie. Maybe less vivid color, but eyes dont burn after some hours. Your hard drive is kinda big for a laptop, also at this 7200 RPM, but its a good choice anyway. I would suggest 100 gb for the same speed. Bluetooth v.2 ... better wait for the v.3, with better range and speed.
Processor is the best for the price. I was hesitatting for 7300vs7500. For the little difference, when cache of the two are 4mb, 7300 is a better option.
Ram is good 2gb perfect, considering that it can go 10-15% more faster when it's dual channel, better for dual core.

g1s for real gamers and kinda costy...

I'm also searching for the ideal laptop, after seeing asus s96s, c90s, some hp, dell inspirion, Sager NP2090 (ifl90)... I think the better choice would be Sager, reputable compagny (kinda unknown in canada) and seem to got nice review of many users.

At xoticpc, you can get a 3% rabate easily and seem to have great service for customers... The only thing thats bugging me right now that make me hesitate ordering my NP2090 is their shipping. If you live in USA, go right away, you wont find a better place (you can do price match also). In Canada, kinda impossible to find good laptop like proposed here for less than 2000CAD (about 1900USD right now). That's why, with the exchange rate of 0,95 us/can right now, very interesting buying here. But brokerage and duty fees are factor that make buisness complicated (can go 25-50% of the price product more). BUT if they can ship with USPS without EMS, it would be perfect for internationnal buisness (only wait this confirmation to buy).

So I would suggest you the sager, you wont go wrong

burkle25
07-19-2007, 06:38 PM
.. for responding. I did decide to go with a sager, not the 15.4 inch but the np5790, actually made the right choice :D And I'll keep the dual channel instead of getting 1 - 2GB stick :D

durdru
07-19-2007, 06:39 PM
I was also on a similar lookout as you are. the only ones I could find to match the 2090's value and price range were the Dell inspiron 1520 (can be configured for cheaper, but looks really bulky/unappealing) and the HP pavilion line (uses the much slower 8400gs though)

ive never held or seen the 2090 in front of me but from the pictures it seems to look nice and very sleek. Ive also heard alot of good things about it. I have glanced at the G1S and the 2090 seems to be a much better value IMO. the problem comes to finding one in stock (2090 currently oos EVERYWHERE)

burkle25
07-20-2007, 01:41 AM
The color options of the dells is what appealed to me, but I didnt care much for the inside. I wanted a computer that actually looked good all around and XPS 1330 is too small.

I've seen the Asus G1S in person. They had it at bestbuy, i liked it but wanted the bigger screen. I choose the sager over the G2S, since it was about the same price configured but the sager has better specs and it is lighter.