PDA

View Full Version : Enable UEFI Boot?

hbear
12-22-2010, 07:09 PM
I just got my Asus G73JW yesterday. After creating recovery disks, I noticed that there was a newer BIOS version available, so I flashed to version 203.

There's an option in BIOS to enable UEFI Boot.

It is currently disabled.

I've heard that UEFI makes startup faster...and doesn't use regular BIOS.

Should I enable this? What are the potential downsides?

powerpack
12-23-2010, 04:30 PM
I would enable. At this time I don't think much difference. I think the UEFI has greater hope for the future. I am no expert on this but seems like a hand off on the direction of the protocol's. Basically involving a greater representation of the industry vs Intel alone. This seems to be voluntary on Intel's part. Intel owns the EFI. So go for it. Both EFI and UEFI are overlays or protocol's that take over some tasks in the transfer of hardware control to the OS. I am certain EDI is what will be used if you do not select UFO. So not like a major shift either way.

Go UEFI.

Maverick494
01-20-2011, 01:01 AM
OMG someone make it stop

powerpack
01-20-2011, 01:30 AM
OMG someone make it stopThe Bots! Oh My God!:p:)

It scares me they get our language down. AI that is it. Don't fight it. It is happening?

Maverick494
01-20-2011, 01:39 AM
The Bots! Oh My God!:p:)

It scares me they get our language down. AI that is it. Don't fight it. It is happening?

the ever so strange thing about this bot.... no links.

powerpack
01-20-2011, 01:46 AM
the ever so strange thing about this bot.... no links.Exactly, getting as dumb as us?:p

SmogHog
01-20-2011, 01:52 AM
Exactly, getting as dumb as us?:p

Testing the sites defenses?

Easy to bypass captcha.

Members join information contains code in the site administrators data?

Someone may want to use info in Vcard?

backlashforblow
08-18-2011, 01:20 AM
I'm actually giving this some additional thought. I've been reading some more on Intel's implementation of UEFI and I've come back a little unimpressed. Apparently in order to enable UEFI on my DP35DP board I have to set my SATA to "Legacy IDE" mode. Apparently Intel's UEFI implementation doesn't have drivers for AHCI. So right now I'm thinking about just taking a spare hard drive and testing an installation on it before I commit a full install to UEFI.

Apparently their UEFI implementation is also more or less a work in progress. There were some firmware versions where the UEFI failed to work at all and people were forced to downgrade so their computer would again be bootable. So it seems that UEFI while exciting in that it does away with BIOS is not really ready for prime time.

Edit: Not to mention the fact that apparently Intel refuses to support use of UEFI on their desktop motherboards.