PDA

View Full Version : DVD Missing From Device Manager

Dalthius
07-18-2008, 12:13 PM
I just returned from Iraq, my computer worked the entire time without a problem. I tried to listen to an audio CD today and noticed, hey, my DVD drive is not showing up in My Computer. Nor is it listed in my Device Manager. I have not used a CD/DVD since I returned (saturday 12 July), so this is the first I've noticed it. The only recent changes were I installed several Windows Updates, as I was behind about 7 months. I do not know if this is what caused the problem.

I am running Windows Vista x64. I have tried the recommended fixes I found on the net, like upper/lower filters (neither were there). I could not find the drive in BIOS, but then again I'm not BIOS experienced and may have missed it. Scanning for new hardware does nothing. I do not have a restore point.

Dalthius
07-18-2008, 03:54 PM
What do I need to do to remove the optical drive, check and make sure it is connected? I really don't think that's the problem though. But after having tried everything else, I'm at a loss. What the heck causes an optical drive to suddenly stop working? This laptop has been a nightmare since the second I took it out of the box.

halest0rM
07-18-2008, 05:13 PM
Have you tried emailing xotic pc or Justin? They will give you detailed help

Dalthius
07-18-2008, 05:34 PM
I tried calling but got an answering machine. I don't have a phone at the moment so I couldn't leave a contact number; i'm hardly in my hotel room so I couldn't give them that # either.

Brad@XoticPC
07-21-2008, 09:19 AM
Hi Dalthius - sounds like a strange problem. I'm not sure what model of computer you have, but it's generally not too hard to just unscrew a few things and make sure your optical drive is plugged in. (International flights can do some strange things to laptops - especially if they're not carried on.)

If you're still stuck, you can always check http://www.xoticpc.com/contact_us.php to find some good numbers for support. (Hopefully you won't get an answering machine again.)

Best of luck,

~ Brad

Dalthius
07-21-2008, 09:53 AM
Thanks for responding, Brad.

I've already removed the cover to the laptop and found no easy way to remove the optical drive, but I didn't try very hard either. I know the unit is at leat powered up as when I put a CD/DVD in it spins up but nothing else happens. I'll try to take it apart again today.

I have called and once again got an answering machine, so I emailed Sager. Waiting on a response.

Badday17
07-21-2008, 12:17 PM
I had this same problem a little while back and I used the regedit fix.

Go to start, run and type regedit. Locate the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
Locate the values on the right for UpperFilters, and/or LowerFilters. Remove these values, then reboot your computer. Be careful here, there are very few second chances when it comes to the registry.

this was Vista U 64bit.

You also can get this download.
Windows Vista-(http://adrynalyne.colemanguy.com/registry/winxp/xpcd.zip)

Dalthius
07-21-2008, 04:23 PM
Badday,

Tried that already, unfortunately those keys do not appear in that particular area of my registry. No luck in that respect. I'm beginning to suspect that my drive has gone bad, which means <gulp> sending it back for warranty work....NOT something I want to do.

Badday17
07-21-2008, 08:14 PM
OK, sorry about that it work for me a couple of times, My had did the same but maybe your drive is toast....:(

Dalthius
07-22-2008, 10:47 PM
I'm left with no choice but to send it in to be fixed/replaced. I finally got Sager to contact me via email but all they really did was ask me to send it in. I hope the drive is jacked up, otherwise they'll send it back and I'll still have this problem....

Anybody wanna buy a laptop, slightly used? I'm tired of this thing. I made a mistake. Right out of the box the screen was jacked and there was a stuck pixel that could not be fixed. Unfortunately I was leaving for Iraq two days later and could not send it back, and hours on the phone with tech support resolved nothing. I need a new laptop and this damn thing cost me $2800!!!!

Talk about buyers remorse. Still, it does play games really well, even if there are lines all across the screen.

OregonCoastGamer
07-23-2008, 11:41 AM
Sorry that you have had problems with yours, but just to reassure you that this is not the case for everyone. I was lucky enough to have absolutely no problems what so ever, except reinstalling the cam drivers (if that's even considered a problem?). If you do not have the time available to work out the kinks in your laptop, then I understand why you are frustrated. If you try reverting your computer to a clean slate and reinstalling everything, a resale may not be too difficult and it may even fix some of your problems. I am happy with my buy and this laptop is top quality in everything that it does. No remorse here, $2700 well spent.

Dalthius
07-23-2008, 05:32 PM
It really is an excellent computer, I think I've just had some really bad luck.

OregonCoastGamer
07-23-2008, 07:23 PM
Yea, sounds like the case. I am just incredibley relieved I didn't get a dud lol ;).