PDA

View Full Version : 8800M GTX OpenGL Crashes

solok
07-24-2008, 04:06 AM
Is anyone else getting these? Seems like every 10-30min I crash out of City of Heroes and the reported (Vista) problem is my device driver has crashed and recovered. After re-installing CoH and updating to the latest driver it has now narrowed it to OpenGL causing this. If anyone has an idea for a fix I'd love to hear it.

Edit:
This may have also been the issue causing Simcity 4RH to crash on me too...but I can't really say so because that game has so many issues its not funny.

OregonCoastGamer
07-24-2008, 11:50 AM
Sounds like Vista to me. I haven't gotten any Open GL crashes or any crashes at all related to the GPU. The oldest game I played was 2003-04, but I simply ran that in compatibility mode and it worked perfectly.

solok
07-25-2008, 01:00 AM
I'll give that a shot tonight and see how it goes.

solok
07-25-2008, 08:33 AM
Well, I couldn't run it in compatibility because my mouse wouldn't show up. It's bug in the game that's been around forever, though most often associated with ATI gfx cards (from memory).

I didn't bother reading up on the fix again as I don't have the issue when running the game without compatibility and don't want to mess that up by screwing around with things.

That aside, I didn't have any crashes tonight in the 2hours I played. Only other things I've changed since yesterday is getting Diskeeper11 running on this computer and setting CoH to use multicore. I never had any performance issues (aside from crashing) prior to these things, but I like using what I have as best as possible. (and if anyone's curious, windows defrag wasn't doing dick, diskeeper showed my HD looking like a candy cane)

Anyway, hopefully something has fixed itself and I won't see another crash.

solok
07-27-2008, 03:32 AM
Nope still got it. Did it again tonight, twice one right after the other, and after only about 30min of gaming. Just seems so weird that it was gone for a night and now back again.

The Bill
07-27-2008, 08:13 PM
Maybe your drivers, perhaps are outdated... ? Try checking the site for updates on drivers (A weak suggestion, I know), you could try contacting NVIDIA and reporting the problem.

I hope your crisis comes to an end

Bill

kpauls
07-28-2008, 01:47 PM
I don't recommend using anything but WHQL drivers if you want OpenGL to work correctly.

I have experienced display reboots but they happen very infrequently. I have experienced z-order errors that don't go away until I restart the directx app.

Check your fans every 3-4 months ;)

solok
07-30-2008, 03:21 AM
The driver was the first thing I did (Running 7.15.11.7602 16-Jul-08). I then followed that up by the reinstalling game when the problem persisted.

And I did, at one time, think it could have been a heating issue...but when I went for 2 hours without a problem...it kinda led me away from that. That and I run fans on high with a cooler under the laptop. I started doing this when on the 2nd day I owned the laptop it beeped at me while raiding in WoW.

I really think its just a driver/vista issue. Not too many people are playing CoH any more...even fewer on Vista...and I could be 1 of a few hundred (or less) that's on a laptop with an 8800. So it does make it hard to troubleshoot.

But my main concern is if this issue will affect other games...if its confined to CoH, I'll live. But if it pops up when I'm playing Warhammer, I'll be far more peeved.

ztimbo
08-04-2008, 09:58 AM
It will happen on every game. Congratulations on your new laptop!

solok
08-04-2008, 06:16 PM
http://rap.midco.net/clintandsami/driver%20nvlddmkm.jpg

This is a screen shot just after a crash.

edit: yes I moved the two windows together to allow a smaller image

OregonCoastGamer
08-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Go back to the original stock drivers and be sure to use the correct process in removing the present ones before installing the new ones.

solok
08-05-2008, 01:29 AM
It originally occurred with stock drivers, and I followed all directions. Uninstalled, rebooted in safe, sweeped and installed.

OregonCoastGamer
08-13-2008, 06:43 PM
http://community.enemyterritory.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1987
I recently installed a faulty driver which caused some GL crashes in certain games, even after I uninstalled it and reinstalled the working one some settings were permanently altered. The last post on the link is the solution to fixing it, but I don't know if it was the same problem you were having.

solok
08-16-2008, 12:49 PM
Thx, trying it out.

solok
08-18-2008, 08:59 PM
Nah, still doing it, seems like its gotten more rare though. Not since doing this but just in general. Then again I've been playing less and less too. Busy with my kids an all.