PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Me Select a New Notebook

maiappraiser99@gmail.com
07-28-2008, 09:38 PM
Hi Gang,

I have already learned a lot from the this forum but would like a few expert opinions before going forward with my purchase. I am a self-employed business owner that needs to purchase a new laptop. I have had Dells in the past and recently a Toshiba Tecra that is aging fast. I don't do much gaming but write and edit large word and graphic files and a lot of multitasking. I use a docking station at my office connected to a small network as well as a home network. I will also use the laptop for streaming video to an external HDTV flat screen and will have it hooked up to a 2nd monitor most of the time for work. I need a reliable machine but like the power and speed of the new prcoessers. Will be using Dragon Naturally Speaking Software. I was looking at the HP Dv5t but worried about the build quality. My HP Slimline motherboard just went after 7 months. Don't mind buying a less known brand if the quality is there. Want to spend around $1,500 maybe a little more if needed. Any recommendations and/or configurations would be appreciated.

Scott

General Questions

1) What is your budget? $1,500 - $1,700

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

a. Ultraportable; 12" screen or less
b. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen

c. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

d. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) Please select your country's flag as a post icon and tell us what country are you buying this in. USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like? NO

5) What tasks will you be performing with the notebook? Business and Home Media

6) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places or leaving it on your desk? Mostly back and forth from office. Desktop Replacement.

7) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games? Not a lot of gaming but use large graphic files with word, photoshop, etc.

8) How many hours of battery life do you need? Not important.

9) Do you mind buying online without seeing the notebook in person? No

10) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista), Mac OS, Linux, etc. Already have my feet wet with Vista. Guess I need at least Vista Business.

Screen Specifics

11) Would you prefer standard or widescreen? Widescreen.

12) From the choices below, what screen resolutions would you prefer? (more details below)

Standard
a. XGA -1024x768 - Large and easy to read text + graphics icons, but you fit less stuff on the screen.
b. SXGA - 1400x1050 - Compromise resolution between XGA and UXGA.
c. UXGA - 1600x1200 - Very small text and graphics icons, you can fit lots of stuff on the screen.

Widescreen
d. WXGA or WXGA+ - 1280x768/800 or 1440x900; Wider viewing version of XGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.

e. WSXGA+ - 1680x1050; Wider viewing version of SXGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets. My eyes are going downhill and its becoming harder and harder reading text.

f. WUXGA - 1920x1200; Wider viewing version of UXGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non glossy screen? (Read below on differences) Don't know.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? Not really.

15) When are you buying this laptop and how long do you want this laptop to last? 3 to 4 years.

Notebook Components

16) How much hard drive space do you want; 40GB to 500GB? 175 to 250 GB.

17) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive? A DVD Burner.

==========
END COPY

widescreens these days.

Mazeura
07-29-2008, 02:39 AM
Hmm...
With those requirements I would normally say that you would want a Quadro graphics card, but I doubt that we'll be able to get you one from this site. (The reason why I say that is that the difference between the Quadro and the GeForce series is that the Quadro is made with Photoshop, CAD, and other 3D applications, while the GeForce series is made for gaming where quality is not as big of a need, but speed is. The GeForces can render gaming faster than the Quadro simply because it is geared towards quick rendering.)

I am going to put together a lot of builds here, of which any should suit your need, but you would need to decide which one you like the looks of more because I have a feeling that the builds will all be similar.
I am also going to try to keep them under 1,700$ because I do not know if your including shipping in that estimate. If your not adding costs of shipping and taxes on your price range, you can increase the CPU on any of these laptops and get a speed boost.
As a note, I am putting a 320GB hard drive in most of these because I do some Photoshopping myself, and I save every version of the draft instead of saving over the previous draft, and that has claimed a large portion of my HD. And in most cases it only costs 30$ more than getting a 250GB hard drive.
This is the laptop that I have been considering for a little while:

- 15.4" WSXGA+ "Glare Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright Glossy Screen (1680x1050) `
- Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
- Standard Dead Pixel Policy
- ~Intel® P8400 45nm "Montevina" Core™2 Duo 2.26GHz w/3MB L2 On-die cache - 1066MHz FSB 25 watt
- 512MB PCI-Express nVidia GeForce 9600M GT DDR2 DX10
- ~ 4,096MB DDR2 800 (2 SODIMMS) Dual Channel Memory (Requires Vista 64-Bit to recognize Full 4GB)
- Standard Finish
- ~Combo 8x8x6x4x Dual Layer DVD +/-R/RW 5x DVD-RAM 24x CD-R/RW Drive w/Softwares
- ~ 320GB 5400RPM (Serial-ATA II 300 - 8MB Cache)
- Internal 3-in-1 Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS)
- Internal Bluetooth 2.0+ EDR
- Built-in Intel® PRO/Wireless 5300 802.11 a/g/n Wi-Fi Link
- Built in 2.0 Megapixel Camera
- Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
- Carying Case Optional (Select if desired)
- Smart Li-ion Battery (9-Cell)
- Integrated Fingerprint Reader
- ~Windows Vista Business 64-Bit Installed (64&32-Bit CD Included) w/ Drivers & Utilities CD's
- 1 Year Parts & Labor, Lifetime Sager Toll Free Tech Support
Price: $1,329.00
Weight:6.5 lbs

Also you said that your eye sight isn't what it used to be, you could try a larger screen with a smaller resolution. It would make everything bigger on the screen, but a 17" would weigh more than any 15.4".

- 17" WSXGA+ "Glare Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright Glossy Screen (1680x1050)
- -Intel® T8300 45nm "Penryn" Core™2 Duo 2.4GHz w/3MB L2 On-die cache - 800MHz FSB
- 512MB PCI-Express nVidia GeForce 8600GT DX10
- - 4,096MB (2 SODIMMS) Corsair, Kingston or Major Brand DDR2 667MHz Dual Channel Memory (Requires Vista 64-Bit to recognize Full 4GB)
- Standard Finish
- ~Combo 8x8x6x4x Dual Layer DVD +/-R/RW 5x DVD-RAM 24x CD-R/RW Drive w/Softwares
- - 320GB 3GB/S SATA II 5400RPM Hard Drive
- Internal 4-in-1 Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS/MS PRO)
- Built in 1.3Megapixel Camera
- Smart Li-ion Battery (6-Cell)
- -Windows Vista Business 64-Bit w/ Drivers & Utilities CD's
- 3 Year Labor* 3 Year Limited Parts Warranty Lifetime Toll Free 24/7 Tech Support
Price: $1,548.00
Weight:7.5 lb.

You could use this laptop also. The main thing about this laptop is that it has a smaller screen resolution which isn't a horrible thing, but as I said, it would make everything bigger on the screen. This laptop also has a better graphics card than the laptop above it.

- !! FREE !! UPS GROUND SHIPPING (Use Coupon Code FREESHIP in Checkout)
- 17" WXGA+ "Glare Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright Glossy Screen (1440x900)
- ASUS Zero Bright Dot (ZBD) Pixel Guarantee
- -Intel® P8400 45nm "Montevina" Core™2 Duo 2.26GHz w/3MB L2 On-die cache - 1066MHz FSB 25 watt
- 512MB PCI-Express nVidia GeForce 9600M GS DDR2 DX10
- ~ 4,096MB DDR2 800 (2 SODIMMS) Dual Channel Memory -
- Standard Finish
- - Combo Dual Layer SuperMulti 8X DVDRW Drive w/ Software
- - 320GB SATA 150 5400RPM Hard Drive - Asus Default Hard Drive
- Internal 8-in-1 Card Reader: MMC/SD/Mini-SD/XD/Memory Stick/MS Pro/MS Duo/MS Pro Duo
- Built-in Intel® PRO/Wireless 4965 802.11 a/g/n
- Basic Black Business Case - Included
- Smart Li-ion Battery (8-Cell)
- Asus USB Optical Mouse
- 2 Year ASUS GLOBAL Warranty, 24/7 Tech Support, 1 Year Accidental Damage Coverage & 2-Way Pre-Paid Overnight Shipping for Repairs
Price: $1,625.00
Weight:8.61lbs

I'm going to make a seperate section here, for other laptops that you could use, other than the ones I would reccommend.

- 15.4" WSXGA+ "Glare Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright Glossy Screen (1680x1050) `
- -Intel® P8400 45nm "Montevina" Core™2 Duo 2.26GHz w/3MB L2 On-die cache - 1066MHz FSB 25 watt
- 512MB PCI-Express nVidia GeForce 9600M GT DDR3 DX10
- - 4,096MB (Corsair, Kingston, Major Brand) DDR2 800 (2 SODIMMs) Dual Channel Memory
- Standard Matte Bllack with Silver Trim
NO DELAY for Custom Color Options
- Internal 4-in-1 Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS/MS PRO)
- 3 Year Complete Care Full Parts / Labor Warranty - Next Business Day Shipping - Lifetime 24/7 DOMESTIC Tech Support
Price: $1,604.00
Weight:6.2 lbs

- 512MB PCI-Express nVidia GeForce 9600M GT DDR2 DX10
- - 4,096MB (Corsair, Kingston, Major Brand) DDR2 800 (2 SODIMMs) Dual Channel Memory
- Standard Finish
- Internal 3-in-1 Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS)
- Smart Li-ion Battery (9-Cell)
- 3 Year Complete Care Full Parts / Labor Warranty - Next Business Day Shipping - Lifetime 24/7 DOMESTIC Tech Support
Price: $1,504.00
Weight:6.5 lbs

- 15.4" WSXGA+ "Glare Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright Glossy Screen (1680x1050)
- ASUS Zero Bright Dot (ZBD) Pixel Guarantee
- -Intel® T9400 45nm "Montevina" Core™2 Duo 2.53GHz w/6MB L2 On-die cache - 1066MHz FSB 35 watt - ASUS Default Processor
- 512MB PCI-Express nVidia GeForce 9700M GT DDR3 DX10
- Standard Finish
- - 250GB SATA 150 5400RPM Hard Drive - Default
- - 250GB SATA 150 5400RPM Hard Drive - Default
- Internal 8-in-1 Card Reader: MMC/SD/Mini-SD/XD/Memory Stick/MS Pro/MS Duo/MS Pro Duo
- Built-in Intel® PRO/Wireless 4965 802.11 a/g/n
- Asus G Series Matching Backpack made by Targus
- Asus G Series Matching Logitech Mouse
- 2 Year ASUS GLOBAL Warranty, 24/7 Tech Support, 1 Year Accidental Damage Coverage & 2-Way Pre-Paid Overnight Shipping for Repairs
Price: $1,788.00
Weight:6.5lbs
I know that is above your price range, but taking in consideration that you get a free mouse and free shipping with this laptop, I hope you can excuse the fact that it costs more than $1,700. Also note that this laptop is currently on pre-order only as of right now.

So as I said earlier any of these laptops you can use for your purpose very well. The graphic cards that are in each of those laptops are very good and will be able to handle anything you throw at it (and do it rather quickly to boot).

(I kinda of feel like I should apologize for putting 6 different laptops in this post...)