PDA

View Full Version : Final Decison between Asus and Sager 2096

Barb
07-30-2008, 06:56 PM
I can't decide between the Asus Movm A1 or B1 and the Sager 2096. I like the feedback on the quality of the Sager. But im not sure what to customize the Sager with, if i go that way. I need help :)

I use Xp pro on my desktop, should i go with Vista 64 bit(or Ultimate) or stay with XP pro. Will XP cause problems later on, as newer programs use Vista. I plan to use the laptop for movies, games (not games like crysis), and use the wireless for work. I also prefer a lite laptop, therefore the 15.4

Since the M50vm B-1 has the T9400, should i upgrade the processor to that or just do one upgrade to the P8600.

Do I upgrade to 7200 hd. i was reading that people say stay with the 320 5400. is there a difference to upgrade to 320 7200 or it doesnt matter and stay with the 320 5400.

Should i get the 4mb ddr2 (2sodimms) even if i get xp.

I have heard problems with the Asus getting hot, low battery. So i lean to the Sager, with upgrades.

I would like to stay within the 1300 range, but I want a laptop that will last and enable me to do almost anything. I do need advice as i am not an expert. So whatever you can recommend is appreciated.

The Bill
07-30-2008, 08:27 PM
I've always been a Sagar supporter, and this isn't going to change now. Sagar overs alot of customization options aswell as brilliant warrantys, sturdy design, and great tech support.

XP Pro is still the OS of choice for alot of people as it is actually a lot less buggier than Vista. If you prefer to use XP Pro, and with the processor selection, you'd be getting 2GB of ram.

I'd reccomend an upgrade (Help in the long run of the computers life span), though I'm focussing on the Sagar.

A 7,200RPM HD is only really a prerequisite if you do a lot of writing to the drive etc. It doesn't sound like you'll be needing an incredibly fast HD, so a 5,400RPM HD should be just fine for your situation.

I don't think the current processors allow you to get 4MB of RAM and XP, so if you want XP, your getting 2GB of RAM, and if you want 4GB of RAM, I guess your using Vista.

I haven't heard of these problems, though I haven't touched an Asus in a long time, so no comment here.

The Sagar 2096 is good, try this build:
- 15.4" WXGA "Glare Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright Glossy Screen (1280x800)
- Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
- Standard Dead Pixel Policy
- ~Intel® P8600 45nm "Montevina" Core™2 Duo 2.40GHz w/3MB L2 On-die cache - 1066MHz FSB 25 watt
- 512MB PCI-Express nVidia GeForce 9600M GT DDR2 DX10
- None Standard
- ~ 2,048MB DDR2 800 (2 SODIMMS) Dual Channel Memory
- Standard Finish
- ~Combo 8x8x6x4x Dual Layer DVD +/-R/RW 5x DVD-RAM 24x CD-R/RW Drive w/Softwares
- ~ 320GB 5400RPM (Serial-ATA II 300 - 8MB Cache)
- Internal 3-in-1 Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS)
- Internal Bluetooth 2.0+ EDR
- Built-in Intel® PRO/Wireless 5300 802.11 a/g/n Wi-Fi Link
- None Standard
- Built in 2.0 Megapixel Camera
- Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
- Carying Case Optional (Select if desired)
- Smart Li-ion Battery (9-Cell)
- Integrated Fingerprint Reader
- ~Windows XP Pro SP3 w/ Drivers, Utilities CD
$1,279.00

Now you can lower the price by easily lowering the Processor, and that build will be able to play games moderately, and steady. Along with the other specs you listed. Keep in mind that there are shipping fees when ordering (I tried to look at the costs when looking at this build. Look around Xotic, or wait a while for one of the other community members to give their oppinon.

Bill

Anewbus
07-30-2008, 08:56 PM
Hi Barb,

Ok, let's take a look:

The Asus comes with loads of stuff as standard. the only thing I added in this example config is the Artic silver compound, yes, you want that :)
I stuck with the ASUS M50VM-A1 considering your budget wishes.
It does come with Vista, but you can swap out for XP, it's only that XP won't really recognize over 3GB of RAM. However, if you had 4GB you would be ready if you ever switched to Vista.
The thing about the Asus though is that the battery life is shorter as it is only a 6-cell. Sure you get a case and a mouse and whatnot, but those really don't relate to performance. The Sagers are better machines.
Personally, I would go with the SAGER 2096 over the ASUS any day. Get it with the 3-year warranty and your set.
As for going to Vista, I can only give my personal opinion. I would stick with XP. You'll have less headaches and XP will be around and supported until at least 2010 or longer. The you can always just upgrade the memory which is not expensive (unless you already stuck 4GB in) and switch over when your ready. (For me, I'm sticking with XP and then if I have to dump it someday, I'll go to Linux, but that's just me).

Here's some configs I did for you to look at for everything you listed:
ASUS M50VM-A1
- !! FREE !! UPS GROUND SHIPPING (Use Coupon Code FREESHIP in Checkout)
- 15.4" WXGA+ "Glare Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright Glossy Screen (1440x900)
- ASUS Zero Bright Dot (ZBD) Pixel Guarantee
- -Intel® P8400 45nm "Montevina" Core™2 Duo 2.26GHz w/3MB L2 On-die cache - 1066MHz FSB 25 watt - ASUS Default Processor
- 1,024MB PCI-Express nVidia GeForce 9600M GS DDR2 DX10
- ~ 4,096MB DDR2 800 (2 SODIMMS) Dual Channel Memory -
- Standard Finish
- - Combo Dual Layer SuperMulti 8X DVDRW Drive w/ Software
- - 320GB SATA 150 5400RPM Hard Drive - Asus Default Hard Drive
- Internal 8-in-1 Card Reader: MMC/SD/Mini-SD/XD/Memory Stick/MS Pro/MS Duo/MS Pro Duo
- Built-in Intel® PRO/Wireless 4965 802.11 a/g/n
- Built in 1.3Megapixel Camera
- Basic Black Business Case - Included
- Smart Li-ion Battery (6-Cell)
- Asus USB Optical Mouse
- ~Windows Vista Home Premium 32-Bit w/ Drivers & Utilities CD's - ENS
- 2 Year ASUS GLOBAL Warranty, 24/7 Tech Support, 1 Year Accidental Damage Coverage & 2-Way Pre-Paid Overnight Shipping for Repairs

$1257.12 (With cash discount, but not including shipping) Add about $37 for standard shipping.

Next I did two configs on the Sager 2096. One with what I would recommend in alignment with your needs you stated and one closer to the ASUS just so you could see.
The Sager is a more robust machine than the Asus and it comes with a 9-cell battery which can mean longer battery life.
However, what you do can also effect how long you get per batt charge as well.
Here's a config I did showing what you could get away with for all the things you want to do:
SAGER NP2096 Custom Laptop (Built on the Compal JHL90) PRE ORDER
- ~Intel® P8400 45nm "Montevina" Core™2 Duo 2.26GHz w/3MB L2 On-die cache - 1066MHz FSB 25 watt
- ~ 2,048MB DDR2 800 (2 SODIMMS) Dual Channel Memory
- Standard Finish
- ~Combo 8x8x6x4x Dual Layer DVD +/-R/RW 5x DVD-RAM 24x CD-R/RW Drive w/Softwares
- ~Windows XP Pro SP3 with Drivers and Utilities CD
- Sager 3 Year Parts & Labor Warranty, Lifetime Sager Toll Free Support

$1322.11(with cash discount, but shipping not included) Shipping is the same amount for all machines depending on method you choose.
Notice the screen resolution is not quite as higher in this config as the Asus, but it will still serve you well for your needs. I also added a 320GB 5400 rpm hard disk as that will give you plenty of room and it's a better disk then say a 200GB 7200rpm HD. I also put on XP Pro since your used to that. We can keep the RAM at 2GB, that will be plenty fine. I also added the 3-year warranty. It's the best and only put it $22 over $1300. You said "within that range" so there you are.
You could also bump up the screen to the higher resolution for $60 more which would bring it to $1382.11 still at the higher end of your range.

Now here is the same 2096 configured closer to the ASUS:

Sager NP2096 Custom Laptop (Built on the Compal JHL90) PRE ORDER
- 15.4" WSXGA+ "Glare Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright Glossy Screen (1680x1050) `
- ~Intel® P8400 45nm "Montevina" Core™2 Duo 2.26GHz w/3MB L2 On-die cache - 1066MHz FSB 25 watt
- ~ 4,096MB DDR2 800 (2 SODIMMS) Dual Channel Memory (Requires Vista 64-Bit to recognize Full 4GB)
- Standard Finish
- ~Windows Vista Business Premium 64-Bit Installed (64&32-Bit CD Included) w/ Drivers & Utilities CD's
- Sager 3 Year Parts & Labor Warranty, Lifetime Sager Toll Free Support

$1423.96
See what happened to the price. For your needs you listed, this is somewhat overkill.

Here's a third choice. The FORCE 3310 built on the same platform as the 2096. Again with a lower res screen and assuming XP Pro

FORCE 3310 (Built on COMPAL JHL90)
- -Intel® P8400 45nm "Montevina" Core™2 Duo 2.26GHz w/3MB L2 On-die cache - 1066MHz FSB 25 watt
- - 3,072MB (Corsair, Kingston, Major Brand) DDR2 800 (2 SODIMMs) Dual Channel Memory
- Standard Finish
- - Combo Dual Layer SuperMulti 8X DVDRW Drive w/ Software
- - 320GB 3GB/S SATA II 5400RPM Hard Drive
- -Windows XP Pro SP3 w/ Drivers, Utilities CD
- 3 Year Complete Care Full Parts / Labor Warranty - Next Business Day Shipping - Lifetime 24/7 DOMESTIC Tech Support

$1342.48 (with cash discount, not including shipping)

Let us know if you have more questions and we will be glad to help further.

I don't work for XoticPC obviously, but they are the best. The warranties are unmatched anywhere. The machines are top-shelf and the service is beyond compare. I recently ordered my first lappy here and I am so glad I did. (I was first going to go to BestBuy and get a Toshiba and pay extra to have the hard drive wiped and it would have run me about $1070 out the door, but I would have a 1 year limited warranty and no tech support. I would have also ended up with a weak machine. I'm so glad I found this place.

iamthom
07-30-2008, 11:20 PM
not sure if this is any consideration or not, but you could always dual boot your OS. I have XP already, I love it, and im afraid to switch since I dont think many of my currents programs will run right on vista. However, i decided I could always try to dual boot and get a taste of vista while still playing it safe on xp.

Barb
07-31-2008, 05:37 AM
Thanks Guys. It's really great to be able to come here and get advice from experienced people.

Knowing about the battery life of the Asus, I'm pretty sure ill buy a Sager.

Also Xoticpc sounds great. I bought a desktop from Cyberpower a few years ago, and what a bummer. Their support was awful, had so many problems. Finally had to get some tech friends go in and fix it. A number of things were not connected right or loose. Overall, i still had problems with windows(freezing, slow, etc) Later, we upgraded to a different XPpro, not using their cd. Finally the pc was good. But this went on for almost a year. Needless to say, i was worried about buying online again. But Xoticpc gets raves, and I need tech experts I can trust. I am not really a techie. another reason i appreciate your help.

One last question, is the Compal JHL90 good, in comparison to Clevo. The 8660 looks very nice, a bit out of my range. Should i wait a few months and save for the 8660 or go with the 2096. Thanks again.

Anewbus
07-31-2008, 09:53 AM
The 8660 is also a nice lappy. (Of course I think most lappies that XoticPC has are very nice).
Things to keep in mind though is that the 8660 will run over $1800 if you stick with the standard config and add XP PRO edition as the OS. Also there are many different warranty choices with it. The one it comes with is good, but not the same as the 3-year recommended for the 2096. (The reason its recommended by the way is not due to problems, but more so because its just a great warranty and gives plenty of peace of mind and well worth the investment). After all a computer is a computer as a lappy is a lappy and you just never know.:) To get the same warranty on the 8660 as the 2096 would run an additional $259.00
Also the 8660 has shorter battery life (1 to 2 hours).

My personal humble opinion is that the 2096 is a far better value for dollar. The battery life on the 2096 is 2 to 3 hours. (I've heard people have squeezed 3.5 out of it on occasion depending on what your doing). Plus with the configs offered previously you can actually get more machine for less price. (2096 can have a 320GB HD and a higher resolution screen and still be in the high 1300s depending on your other choices). Lastly, if you go with the 2096, you get your lappy sooner because you don't have to save up an additional $500 or more.

Yes, I've heard stuff about Cyberpower and was warned away from them. Turns out the warnings were valid because I talked to them before I found XoticPC and they scared me. (In fact, I wasn't so sure I wanted to try XoticPC until I called one day and then a few times after with questions long before I even ordered and experienced the highest quality of customer service and everything I have ever encountered)! All I can do now is sing their praises with everyone else and help out as best I can, both in helping folks configure a nice lappy for their needs and get the word out about how great XoticPC is to anyone who will listen who might be considering getting a lappy. All this and I haven't even seen my lappy yet! (Not to worry it's shipping in a few days).

Barb
07-31-2008, 01:13 PM
Thanks Anewbus.

This weekend, I will order the 2096. Ill just review again the items to upgrade. Once complete, ill post it here.

It really is great to have people to fall back on for help. You have all been wonderful. I look forward also to experiencing the great service of xoticpc. :)

Anewbus
07-31-2008, 02:21 PM
Thanks Anewbus.

This weekend, I will order the 2096. Ill just review again the items to upgrade. Once complete, ill post it here.

It really is great to have people to fall back on for help. You have all been wonderful. I look forward also to experiencing the great service of xoticpc. :)

Your welcome. :)
Yes, do let us know because we all like to congradualte each other on our new lappys when we order them and when they arrive. Even Justin and crew get into the act at times. Wonderful folks at the XoticPC facilties!

Just so you know the admin offices are in the middle of moving to better serve the customer and will be availble again on 08/05/08. (see Justin's announcement in the top section of the forums).

Glad to have helped. :)
Remember, you get 24/7 lifetime domestic tech support via all ways of communication. (ok, except smoke signals perhaps).

Be sure to read the info section on the site about warranties and everything if you have not already done so.
So you know: here are the phases:

Phase #1 Payment (Can take 1 to 2 weeks to clear depending on method of payment) Little tip here: If you pay with a "bank check" or wire it takes shorter to clear and you get your cash discount. It's also shorter by credit card of course, but you don't get your cash discount that way.

Phase#2 Production (please allow 7 to 10 business days)

Phase#3 Testing and QC (give them a day or two on that as well please. XoticPC does not let inferior workmanship or machines go out the door to the customer - so testing is important) This is also the graphics and paint phase if your getting that done. That takes additional time of course for obvious reasons.

Phase#4 Shipping your lovely custom lappy to you. (AKA the Snoopy dance phase for some of us customers) :)

Then your lappy arrives and upon unpacking it you see it's so lovely that you faint. Once you recover you then come back and post and sing the XoticPC praises and..... Ok, maybe all that doesn't really happen (might to me once I see mine though):)
Seriously though, you will love your new lappy, gauranteed.

Barb
08-02-2008, 12:36 PM
One last question, as i get ready to order my Sager 2096.

Should i upgrade to the 4gb, even with XP Pro (will xp use 3gb of it). My thinking if i switch in the future to Vista (more probably the new win7 upcoming in a year), is it cheaper to get it now? ill just spend more for it now. ( ill up my low to mid 1400- since i got a rebate check :p)

I am also going with the p8600. any other thoughts since ill spend a bit more.

appreciate your thoughts.

The Bill
08-02-2008, 03:06 PM
Looking very nice, Barb.

4GB will last you a long time, so will the processor upgrade. Note that Windows XP will recognize the full 4GB, to be honest I'm getting confused why it's saying Vista is required to recognize full 4GB of RAM, because Windows XP Professional (32-Bit) supports a maximum of 4GB of RAM (In fact it's on the Microsoft website.. http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEmem.mspx)

But I digress,
Your best bet would be to just wrap up your 4GB package with XP (You know the OS, the OS is stable, so go with it) then just upgrade later I guess, this is just my opinion though, it's all up to you.

Tell me how this goes.

Bill

Barb
08-03-2008, 12:12 PM
ok i did it...I ordered my first Sager laptop. :p

1x Sager NP2096 Custom Laptop (Built on the Compal JHL90)

- Display: 15.4" WSXGA+ "Glare Type" Super (1680x1050)
- Arctic Silver: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
- Dead Pixel Policy: Standard Dead Pixel Policy
- Processor: ~Intel® P8600 45nm "Montevina" C
- Video Card: 512MB PCI-Express nVidia GeForce
- Ram: ~ 4,096MB DDR2 800 (2 SODIMMS) D
- Exterior Finish: Standard Finish
- Optical Drive: ~Combo 8x8x6x4x Dual Layer DVD +
- Primary Hard Drive: ~ 320GB 5400RPM (Serial-ATA II 3
- Memory Card Reader: Internal 3-in-1 Card Reader (SD/
- Bluetooth: Internal Bluetooth 2.0+ EDR
- Wireless Network: Built-in Intel® PRO/Wireless 510
- Camera: Built in 2.0 Megapixel Camera
- Sound Card: Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audi
- Battery: Smart Li-ion Battery (9-Cell)
- Fingerprint Reader: Integrated Fingerprint Reader
- Operating System: ~Windows XP Pro SP3 w/ Drivers,
- Warranty: Sager 3 Year Parts & Labor Warrany

Anewbus
08-03-2008, 12:52 PM
Very nice Barb!!! Congratulations on your order! Your going to be so happy with your new lappy! :)

With all this confusion about 4GB and XP and Vista. Even though I will never go to Vista, I'm thinking of bumping my memory from 2GB to 4GB when my lappy arrives. (It's already built and all and I configured it with 2GB of mem.) I'd have to just purchase the memory separatly and then figure out how to install it without voiding the warranty. I digress.

You should be receiving a confirmation of your order early next week, you'll also receive confirmation of payment when it is received and deposited. (Please allow up to 1 to 2 weeks for payment to clear).
They will also notify you once your lappy goes into production. (Please allow 7 to 10 business days).
Then they will notify you when it ships whether your having it shipped direct from manufacturing or by XoticPC.

Let us know if you have any other questions and also keep us posted on your build phases, we all like to get excited about everyones lappies. Let us know how you like it after you receive it as well.

Barb
08-03-2008, 01:03 PM
Thanks, i am excited, though i have some time before it gets here. lol
i just want to thank all of you.

i am happy to know that i can count on you experts, if i need help. As well as to know the great service xoticpc gives. Nice feeling and big reason i bought here. Thanks again for your help.:smile2:

Anewbus
08-03-2008, 02:35 PM
Anytime, your most welcome. :)

The Bill
08-04-2008, 10:43 AM
Experts :-/

Anewbus
08-04-2008, 11:25 AM
Experts :-/

Gee, thanks Barb.
I'm with you Bill = Me an expert?

The Bill
08-15-2008, 03:32 AM
I have been away, and busy with other things for a while, so I thought I'd peak over at some old posts before tackling some new ones tomorrow.

Anyway, any updates on your laptop? Which phase is it in? Can you feel the anticipation rise to make that first cut into the box?! Are these questions only increasing the excitement?! :P

Barb
08-17-2008, 06:09 PM
lol Bill, didnt see this til now.
im not in phase 2 yet, cause i took advantage of the discount and the check has to clear. hopefully this week ill be in phase 2.

yes i am excited, and now doing research on accessories like a cooler, etc. :smile2:

Xfactor56
08-18-2008, 10:15 AM
I am supposed to receive my NP2096 today (crosses fingers).
I will post a review when I get it.