PDA

View Full Version : 8x00 Series Problems

Mazeura
08-02-2008, 11:41 PM
I was talking to a friend of mine the other day and we started to talk about graphics cards and he mentioned that nVidia had said something along the lines that the previous gen (i.e. the 8x00 series) will fail, and it has to deal with something in the manufacturing.
I looked around online for a little while, and I found some articles talking about this. While none of them specifically mentioned the 8800GTX, I'm starting to worry some.
Has anyone else heard anything about this?
Also, how would this be covered by warranties, if the card does fail due to this?

OregonCoastGamer
08-03-2008, 12:04 AM
Superstition? What are the reasons for the 8xxx series failing?

Mazeura
08-03-2008, 12:31 AM
All that I could find was that it had to deal with a manufacturing problem.
I'll try to dig a little more and see what I can find.

elysiumstarz
08-03-2008, 02:39 PM
A friend of mine told me the same thing. He said that when the card heats up, it expands too quickly, and literally pries itself apart. I have been having many issues recently with the screen locking up, overheating, and rebooting or shutting off, even while using a cooler pad. I've just reloaded windows to see if its a software issue causing the problem, we'll see how that goes. I hope its just nasty rumors. My laptop is less than a year old. =\

Mazeura
08-03-2008, 05:41 PM
I feel the same way elysiumstarz.
I haven't had time to look around, but if this ends up being true, I would really like to know how it would be covered by warranties.

ztimbo
08-04-2008, 09:55 AM
My laptop is only a month old and for the last week it locks up after 10 minutes of gaming. I have tried 4 or 5 drivers and I get it with all of them.
I think the lesson to learn here is to buy from name brands who wont ship unless it works.

OregonCoastGamer
08-04-2008, 11:34 AM
If you do some research.... Xotic is actually much more reliable than companies such as Dell and Alienware. There are always fixes to your tech problems, you just got to dig.

elysiumstarz
09-15-2008, 12:54 PM
My laptop is only a month old and for the last week it locks up after 10 minutes of gaming. I have tried 4 or 5 drivers and I get it with all of them.
I think the lesson to learn here is to buy from name brands who wont ship unless it works.

Dont get me wrong, I love xoticpc and it wasnt my intention to insinuate that my vid card issues is their fault. This problem seems to affect cards sold from ALL sellers, including big name brands, not just the little guys like xotic, as the cards supposedly have a manufacturing problem.

Reloading windows def seemed to help curb the lockups in my case, so I can only hope my card holds out until I can afford another laptop. =)

Anewbus
09-15-2008, 01:13 PM
If you do some research.... Xotic is actually much more reliable than companies such as Dell and Alienware. There are always fixes to your tech problems, you just got to dig.

Here here!:)

To add to that - I hear that Alienware and Dell are trying to offer laptops with SSDs, however, I have heard that SSDs have been pulled off the market for now due to the discovery of a huge design flaw. If that's true it just shows how unethical the big names are and they really don't care. They just want to shove machines out the door with little to no regard for the customer. XoticPC does NOT travel that road!

Also if one chooses to have their machine sent to XoticPC first before being sent to themselves then XoticPC has the chance to rigorisly test the machine before shipping it to the customer.

I think the real lesson here is to do one's homework, get advice, check out the service and offers of said reseller and be a bit patient for good testing and QC. (By the way, Dell and Alienware have low QC and they do not test "every" machine. The excuse is that they are too busy trying to meet quotas and get machines out).

Zatara214
09-15-2008, 01:49 PM
I was talking to a friend of mine the other day and we started to talk about graphics cards and he mentioned that nVidia had said something along the lines that the previous gen (i.e. the 8x00 series) will fail, and it has to deal with something in the manufacturing.
I looked around online for a little while, and I found some articles talking about this. While none of them specifically mentioned the 8800GTX, I'm starting to worry some.
Has anyone else heard anything about this?
Also, how would this be covered by warranties, if the card does fail due to this?

To end this topic of conversation, I saw this article a few months ago.

Ready to cry?

It was an april fools joke. Seriously.

robamb2002
09-15-2008, 01:57 PM
Thats not funny, its just plain cruel.