03-07-2011, 06:33 PM
WinRAR 4.0.0 Final released.
03-08-2011, 06:19 AM
I wish it listed what was changed... I'm guessing better compression algorithms?
03-09-2011, 09:22 PM
Although in all honesty, winrar is still outdated. Its just not worth paying for it anymore. Theres other free tools out there that are just as good if not better. As much as i like winrar, ill use something like peazip or 7zip.
03-09-2011, 09:43 PM
I wish it listed what was changed... I'm guessing better compression algorithms?
1. RAR decompression speed is improved. Depending on data type,decompression can be up to 30% faster than in previous versions.
Both the general RAR algorithm and most of special RAR multimediamethods benefit from this improvement. The only module of RARalgorithm, which is not affected, is "Text compression" method.
2. Changes in ISO support:
a) UDF support is upgraded to UDF 2.50 revision. It makes possibleto unpack most of Blu-ray ISO files;
b) when browsing UDF ISO file, UDF revision number is displayedafter the "UDF" format name in WinRAR address barand in archive information dialog;
c) WinRAR sets the folder modification date when unpacking foldersstored in UDF and ISO9660 files.
3. Changes in password dialog:
a) WinRAR uses the same format of password dialog both when archivingand extracting, so "Show password" option is available alsowhen extracting;
b) "Organize passwords..." button in password dialog providesaccess to password organizer interface, where you can specifyyour frequently used passwords. You will be able to access thesesaved passwords using the drop down list or autocomplete featurein password dialog.
It is important to know that saved passwords are not encryptedand anybody having access to your computer can view them.Use "Organize passwords" feature only if your computer isprotected from unauthorized access;
c) "Use for all archives" option is available in password dialogwhen unpacking several archives at once. You can utilize itto apply an entered password to all archives.
If you use this option with an empty password, WinRAR will skipall encrypted archives;
d) Unlike previous versions, the password from default compressionprofile is not used for extraction.If you wish to use the same password for all extracting archives,press "Organize passwords..." button in the password dialogand define a new password entry, specifying "*" file mask in "Select for archives" field.
4. In Windows 7 WinRAR will display the total operation progressalso on WinRAR icon on Windows taskbar. You can disable it using"Taskbar progress bar" option on "General" page of WinRAR settings.
5. Numerous Unicode support improvements allow to process non-Englishfile names more smoothly. These improvements include:
a) better Unicode handling in WinRAR in "Rename", "Convert","Find" and other commands, in folder tree panel, in password request dialog and in many other parts of WinRAR interface;
b) correctly displayed Unicode names in WinRAR items in Explorercontext menus;
c) Unicode support in .lng files, making WinRAR localizationpossible for Unicode only languages.
6. Changes in -x switch syntax. Now you can specify a wildcardexclusion mask for folders. Such mask must have the trailing '\'character, like -x*tmp*\ or -x*\temp\
7. New "Extract relative paths" option in "Advanced" part of extractiondialog. If you browse some archive subfolder in WinRAR shelland enable "Extract relative paths" option, the path part up toand including the current subfolder will be removed from extractedfile paths.For example, if you are inside of "Backup\MyData" archive folderand extract "Images" folder, it will be extracted as "Images",not as "Backup\MyData\Images".
This option is the new default extraction mode, but you can changethe default back to WinRAR 3.x style. Just select "Extract full paths"and then press "Save settings" in "General" part of extraction dialog.
8. Windows 98, Windows Me and Windows NT are not supported by WinRARand WinRAR self-extracting modules anymore. Minimum Windows versionrequired for WinRAR 4.0 is Windows 2000.If you need to run WinRAR on older Windows, you can downloadprevious WinRAR versions from ftp://ftp.rarlab.com/rar
9. If TAR, TAR.GZ or TAR.BZ2 archive contains symbolic or hard linksand if destination file system is NTFS, WinRAR will create theselinks when unpacking such archive. WinRAR will create symbolic linksas symbolic and hard links as hard in Windows Vista and newerand it will create all links as hard in older Windows.
If destination file system is FAT32 or any other not supportingfile links, WinRAR will skip links when unpacking TAR, TAR.GZand TAR.BZ2 archives.
10. Recovery volume processing involves less disk seek operationsresulting in higher performance.
11. You can select Windows 7 library in tree panel in extraction dialogand WinRAR will use its default save location as the destination path.
12. "Report" command allows to select HTML, Unicode text and usual textas output format for report file. Unlike previous WinRAR versions,now WinRAR preservers Unicode characters in reports when using HTMLor Unicode text format. So non-English characters in file nameswill be displayed properly in such reports.
13. Message list in GUI SFX archives displays only operation statusand error messages. It does not contain names of all extracted filesanymore. This change improves the speed and reduces memory requirementsfor SFX archives containing a large number of files. Also it makeseasier to locate error messages, because they are not hidden amongextracted file names.
14. GUI SFX archives display "Extract" button instead of "Install"if no "Setup" or "Presetup" commands are present in the archivecomment. If you prefer "Install" button, but do not need toexecute any setup programs, you can add "Setup=<>" command.
15. WinRAR displays the current percent above the operation progress barwhen repairing an archive containing the recovery recordand when processing recovery volumes.
16. WinRAR limits the maximum possible volume size to 4 GB minus 1 bytewhen creating RAR volumes on a disk with FAT or FAT32 file systemin volume size autodetecting mode. These file systems do not support4 GB and larger files.
17. If "Wait if other WinRAR copies are active" option is enabledand WinRAR waits for another copy, you can press "Continue" buttonin command progress window to force WinRAR to stop waiting.So now "Continue" button allows to override the state of"Wait if other WinRAR copies are active" option for current operation.
18. WinRAR displays one password request instead of two, when savingan encrypted file back to RAR or ZIP archive after modifying itin some external editor. Previous WinRAR versions usually requested the password twice, both when extracting the original fileand archiving its modified copy. Only RAR archives with encrypted file names were processed with the single password prompt.
19. New error code 10 ("no files") is added to list of error codesreturned in command line mode by RAR and WinRAR. This new code can be returned by archive, extract, delete and repair commands.It means that RAR did not find any files matched the specified file or archive mask.
20. File name area in file overwrite dialog occupies several lines now.It makes possible to display much longer names.
21. Now switch -ep3 converts not only disk letters, but also UNC paths.So \\server\share will be converted to __server\share when archivingand restored to the original \\server\share when extracting with -ep3.
22. New "Background extraction" option in "Advanced" part of extractiondialog places WinRAR into background, when extracting files.You can save its default state with "Save settings" button in "General"part of extraction dialog, just like for other extraction options.
"Background archiving" option from the default compression profiledoes not affect the extraction behavior anymore.
23. "Mode..." button in operation progress window is enabled alsowhen extracting or testing archives. It provides access to "Command parameters" dialog, where you can set "Turn PC off when done"option for extraction and test operations.
Previously this dialog was accessible only when archiving.
24. Bugs fixed:
a) renaming a file in archive could also rename all other fileswith the same name in other folders of the same archive;
b) previous versions displayed the wrong total packed size in "Info" command for multivolume CAB archives;
c) in ZIP archives 'U' (update) and 'F' (fresh) commands could erroneously update even files not specified in the command line.It happened only for files in current folder which names matched files in ZIP archive. This bug was not present in usual 'A' (add)archiving mode.
03-10-2011, 09:41 PM
I currently use Winrar. Would you guys suggest another compression tool/manager? I'm pretty satisfied with it, but I'm always interested in using the best software.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0 Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.