PDA

View Full Version : 9800gt clock

caocao
08-09-2008, 09:27 AM
What's a safe OC for this GPU. Mine came stock at 383 (core), 767 (shader) and 301 (memory) as per riva tuner. Before I start making changes I would like to know what you guys are using.

Thx!

Mazeura
08-09-2008, 11:13 PM
I'm going to say this now.
It is not a smart thing to OC anything on a laptop.
The reason being that any increase in temperature on the graphics card (or CPU) affects the entire laptop because of how compact everything is. You run into the risk of raising the temperature of the entire laptop, and the motherboard might not be able to withstand the increase in temperature.

If you are adamant about OC'ing, I would OC no more than 5%, maybe 10% if the temperatures do not increase very much.
But a 9800GT should not need to be OC'd, it can already run everything amazingly well. Heck my 8800GTX can run Crysis very well, and the 9800GT is faster than the 8800GTX.

Anewbus
08-09-2008, 11:58 PM
I fully agree with Mazeura.
It's not even wise to OC on a desktop, but especially a lappy unless you want an expensive fireworks display and the smell of burning components and plastic hanging around for a month. Your only asking for trouble with OCing. Besides, the gains one gets from OCing are nominal at best, if that. Often times its so slight that its not worth it.

killer2002
08-10-2008, 12:29 AM
I some what agree with Mazeura and Anewbus. The only way you are going to see gains in performance is if you really OC the hardware, this creates massive amounts of heat. In desktops this is possible because of the great invention of liquid cooling. So you should only attempt to OC by small amounts in a laptop, which defeats the purpose all together because you will not see any gains. If somehow you can manage to cool your laptop very effectively (more then what production laptop cools offer), only then can you try to OC. But by unlocking the GPU I believe you will void the warranty.

OregonCoastGamer
08-10-2008, 12:40 AM
If you want to OC at all, try reading up on some other forums (notebookreviews.com) and see what people recommend for your system. OC isn't really worth the risk in my opinion, but I have seen it done on these laptops.

caocao
08-11-2008, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the replies. I found a comparaison chart for mobile GPUs and it shows the 9800m gt at 500, 1250, 800. It is quite a bit higher then what came with my lappy...just wondering if the figures on that char are OCed or if my card (383, 767, 301) came down clocked for some reasons? Can Justin please answer this one?

Thank you!

OregonCoastGamer
08-11-2008, 08:10 PM
When checking your clock speeds did you have high performance mode enabled and also an application running? The GPU downlclocks when on idle to save power.

caocao
08-12-2008, 08:24 AM
Make sense, I will check this out when I'm off work and post my findings.

Lymn
08-13-2008, 02:46 PM
The thing I can't stress enough is that not all GPU/Memory/CPU of the same model are from the same batch. I've had engineering spec cards that some how made it on to the market (A Radeon 1800XT, that I'm still using in my desktop) that over clocks by almost 65%, whilst some barely passed the quality assurance (Radeon 9800SE is just a poor quality Radeon 9800XT, was a $300 price difference.) I had a 9800XT that barely qualified, you could'nt oc this thing more then 1%. So just remember, just because other people are getting great OC on their card does not mean that you (with out proper technical knowledge, and taking the time to find specific batchs/steps) will be able to do so and you could just as easily fry your card if it is a subpar (but still within the margins of it's classification) card.

caocao
08-13-2008, 06:49 PM
It is true that I am a new laptop user but I have been ocing my PC (cpu and GPU) for many years.

Ref the clock speed, riva tuner says one thing and gpuz another...not sure which one to trust!