Toll Free: 1-877-289-9684  |  Live Chat 7 Days a Week

Thread: Annoying Nvidia openGL error.

Default Annoying Nvidia openGL error.

I have been using my gaming machine for some Blender 3d modeling and such. And everytime I try to render my model, it gives me this "Nvidia openGL driver lost connection with the display driver due to exceeding the windows time-out limit and is unable to continue." If anyone knows whats going on here, please let me know.

Thanks!
    Josh.

error.jpg
    Last edited by ReApEr71595; 01-01-2012 at 08:18 PM.
    FORCE 16F2 / MSI 16F2
    - 15.6” FHD 16:9 LED Backlit Wide screen (1920x1080) Super Clear Glare Type Screen
    - 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM, 2.0Ghz
    - nVidia GeForce GTX 460M 1,536MB
    - 8,192MB (8GB) DDR3 1333MHz
    - 500GB (w/ 4GB SSD Memory) Seagate XT
    7200RPM NCQ Hybrid
    - 4X Blu-Ray Reader + 8X DVDRW/CDRW
    - Internal 7-in-1 Card Reader
    - Internal Bluetooth + EDR
    - Intel® Advanced-N 6205
    - Windows 7 Home Premium - 64-Bit

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/wind.../gg487368.aspx

I think that took about 4 seconds for me to click two links on google.

FTR if you are wanting to use OpenGL, AMD cards are a much better choice.

Well it appears that the Error pop up box was as equally descriptive/helpful as that link you posted there. Being that neither provide an actual solution.

This appears to be a huge common problem with no apparent fix(yet). I researched for roughly 20 minutes on google, and I don't have an answer for you. Looks like you're stuck untill a newer or revised driver comes out. Also for the record this is happening to people with AMD and Nvidia on both older and newer machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhornsol View Post
    Well it appears that the Error pop up box was as equally descriptive/helpful as that link you posted there. Being that neither provide an actual solution.
    TdrDelay: REG_DWORD. The number of seconds that the GPU is allowed to delay the preempt request from the scheduler. This is effectively the timeout threshold. The default value is 2.

if you change that value until the error stops happening that should fix the problem, but depending on the work load on the GPU it might have to be set very high. While not a perfect solution, it should get rid of the error. Perhaps you should go back and redo your 20 minutes of research.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick494 View Post
    TdrDelay: REG_DWORD. The number of seconds that the GPU is allowed to delay the preempt request from the scheduler. This is effectively the timeout threshold. The default value is 2.

if you change that value until the error stops happening that should fix the problem, but depending on the work load on the GPU it might have to be set very high. While not a perfect solution, it should get rid of the error. Perhaps you should go back and redo your 20 minutes of research.
    Yes, he could try that and the other solutions I found as well. Except I have read plenty of posts of people who changed the TDR settings with no luck. If he changed the Blender program to render with just the CPU and got the same error(which he did) then I don't see changing the TDR times being a solution. Especially since nothing is actually "hanging;" However, I don't know a whole lot about openGL or how Blender rendering with the CPU works, so that's just how I see it.

A lot of people have this same error using Photo shop or playing games that use openGL. You could try the TDR trick, reverting to an older driver (270's), or changing the Nvidia settings to use full power(to not idle). From everything I have read these are all very temporary solutions that don't actually fix the problem.

I try to render my model, it gives me this driver lost connection with the display driver due to exceeding the windows time-out limit and is unable to continue." If anyone knows whats going on here, please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by ethanvalit View Post
    I try to render my model, it gives me this driver lost connection with the display driver due to exceeding the windows time-out limit and is unable to continue." If anyone knows whats going on here, please let me know.
    I was having the same problem in blender, using the cycles render engine. I temporarily fixed it by changing it from rendering off my gpu, to render off my cpu. it's a lot slower, but it works, there is also another setting in cycles where I can change it from using CUDA cores on my gpu, to not use them and it works and its fast. But I don't know what program you're using or if you have any settings like this. Sorry if I was no help.
    FORCE 16F2 / MSI 16F2
    - 15.6” FHD 16:9 LED Backlit Wide screen (1920x1080) Super Clear Glare Type Screen
    - 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM, 2.0Ghz
    - nVidia GeForce GTX 460M 1,536MB
    - 8,192MB (8GB) DDR3 1333MHz
    - 500GB (w/ 4GB SSD Memory) Seagate XT
    7200RPM NCQ Hybrid
    - 4X Blu-Ray Reader + 8X DVDRW/CDRW
    - Internal 7-in-1 Card Reader
    - Internal Bluetooth + EDR
    - Intel® Advanced-N 6205
    - Windows 7 Home Premium - 64-Bit