General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    Below 2000$

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

a. Ultraportable; 12" screen or less <--------------NO
    b. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen <--------------NO
    c. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen <--------------YES
    d. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen <------------YES

3) What country (and state) are you buying this in?
    Italy...

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    I dont like(hate actually) the asus G73-74

5) What tasks will you be performing with the notebook?
    I will be using this as my secondary computer(primary is a maxed out desktop) which i will occasionally carry around to college or on some trips for example. I will use it mainly for gaming, but also for programs like office or web surfing.

6) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places or leaving it on your desk?
    Different places, but not too often.

7) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games?
    Latest games, im not planning to go under medium settings.

8) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    3 non gaming hours.

9) Do you mind buying online without seeing the notebook in person?
    Well this is tricky. Most important thing in this laptop is DESIGN. I want it to be a cool laptop, not like the asus G74.

10) Which OS do you prefer?
    windows

Screen Specifics

11) From the choices below, what screen resolutions would you prefer? (more details below)
    Widescreen
    d. WXGA or WXGA+ - 1280x768/800 or 1440x900; Wider viewing version of XGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.
    e. WSXGA+ - 1680x1050; Wider viewing version of SXGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.
    f. WUXGA - 1920x1080; Wider viewing version of UXGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.
    12) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non glossy screen?
    I dont care. Glossy would be cool tho, but matte is ok too.

Build Quality and Design

13) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    ABSOLUTELY. This goes even above performance.

14) When are you buying this laptop and how long do you want this laptop to last?
    I will be buying it in late may, beginning of June.
    Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you want; 250GB, 320GB, 500GB, 750GB, 1TB, or 1.5TB?
    No less than 320GB.

16) Would you prefer a SSD Hard Drive? How much space do you want?
    Yea that would be nice. I dont need much space, cuz i got an external HDD 2TB

17) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, CD/DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?
    Bluray would be nice, but its the last thing to add. I dont really need it.

18) What speed CPU/Processor would you like? Dual core or Quad Core CPU?
    Intel quad core

19) Do you use wireless, or do you plan on using it? Do you use Bluetooth, or do you plan on using it?
    Yes, wireless, bluetooth, they are all important in a laptop.

I will be using this laptop for watching movies, gaming and for university. I was inclined to buy an alienware m17x, but I think i will leave it for last if i dont find something better for less money.

Thanks in advance for your time
    Last edited by solarstorm; 04-09-2012 at 04:27 AM.

No one bothers giving a reply i see

Not many people were on that late most likely, and wish I could help but I tend to go with performance being the most important for me so I never look at the looks, in fact i tend to rather have one that not so flashy looking so it looks less apealing to anyone who might want to steal it. But I can give you this, the sager laptops tend to be more about performance then looks since you said that was important I might not look there, and I know when I was researching laptops my brother thouhgt some of the MSI laptops looked good so you could look there. Hope it helps!

If you are looking for flashy Alienware looks, then you might be more interested in the MSI. Nothing I have found looks like Alienware, but MSI has some crazy light features that seem slick if you are into that. Steel Series backlit keyboards on 17" models and then MSI GT683 has front and side LEDs, though no backlit keyboard option.

Quote Originally Posted by solarstorm View Post
    No one bothers giving a reply i see
    I apologize for the delay in getting you a response. I'm inclined to agree with the MSI GT 783 being the best that fits your needs.

It comes with the GTX 580 in there, Blu burner by default (you can downgrade it to a blu ray reader only for -50), dual 750gb hdd's which can be removed and add a 750gb Hybrid drive in place of, and still might be able to have enough budget room to squeeze in a wireless card upgrade.

Here is what I did for you.

MSI GT783R-658
    - FREE!! UPS GROUND SHIPPING (Use Coupon Code "FREESHIP" in Checkout - U.S. Only, Not Available to Alaska and Hawaii)
    - 17.3" FHD 16:9 "Matte Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright LED Matte Screen (1920x1080) (SKU - X1R553)
    - NO Professional Monitor Color Calibration
    - Standard Dead Pixel Policy
    - 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM, 2.2-3.1GHz, (32nm, 6MB L3 cache) - FREE 8GB Pin Drive with CPU Upgrade! (must be requested at time of sale) (SKU - X2N220)
    - Stock OEM Thermal Compound ( IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU Provided FREE with Processor Upgrade!)
    - nVidia GeForce GTX 580M 2,048MB PCI-Express GDDR5 DX11 (SKU - X3R516)
    - No Video Adapter
    - 12GB DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (3x4GB SODIMMS) - Default (SKU - X4N380)
    - Standard Finish
    - Standard White Logo Backlight
    - 750GB (w/ 8GB SSD Memory) Seagate XT 7200RPM NCQ Hybrid (Serial-ATA III 600 - 32MB Cache) (SKU - X5R425)
    - REMOVE Second Hard Drive (SKU - X6R952)
    - No Caching Solid State Drives
    - Raid 0 - Performance Default
    - 4X Blu-Ray Reader / 8X DVDRW/CDRW Super Multi Combo Drive (SKU - X7R501)
    - No Extra Optical Bay Hard Drive Caddy
    - No Back Up Hard Drive
    - NO External USB Optical Drive
    - Internal 7-in-1 Card Reader (MS/MS Pro/MS Duo/MS Pro Duo/SD/Mini-SD/MMC/RS)
    - No Back Up Software
    - Bluetooth Included (See “Wireless Network” Section Below)
    - Intel® Advanced-N 6230 - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module + Bluetooth (SKU - X8R105)
    - No Network Accessory
    - Integrated Digital Video Camera
    - No TV Tuner
    - Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
    - No Carrying Case
    - Smart Li-ion Battery (9-Cell)
    - No Car Adapter
    - No Spare AC Adapter
    - No Dock/Hub/Adapter
    - No Fingerprint Reader
    - No Headset
    - No External Keyboard
    - No External Mouse
    - No Notebook Cooler
    - No Thanks, Please do not Overclock my system
    - No Operating System Redline Boost
    - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Pre-Installed + Drivers & Utilities Disk
    - Keep factory installed operating system
    - No thanks, do not create backup recovery DVD's
    - No Antivirus Essentials Software Bundle
    - No Office Software
    - No Software Bundle
    - 2 Year MSI US Parts & Labor 1 Year Global Warranty w/ Lifetime Tech Support
    + 1 Year Accidental Damage Warranty (Requires Registration within 30 Days from Ship Date) (SKU - M9R301)

- Standard Production Time
    - No Xotic PC Gear

$2073 final price

If you didn't need the blu ray reader, you can take that out of there as well and get a further discount. You can also drop the wireless card upgrade and you should be squeezing in right around $200 and have the cool MSI looks.
    Derek S.
    Xotic PC
    derek@xoticpc.com
    1-877-289-9684 x529

Quote Originally Posted by Derek@XoticPC View Post
    I apologize for the delay in getting you a response. I'm inclined to agree with the MSI GT 783 being the best that fits your needs.

It comes with the GTX 580 in there, Blu burner by default (you can downgrade it to a blu ray reader only for -50), dual 750gb hdd's which can be removed and add a 750gb Hybrid drive in place of, and still might be able to have enough budget room to squeeze in a wireless card upgrade.

Here is what I did for you.

MSI GT783R-658
    - FREE!! UPS GROUND SHIPPING (Use Coupon Code "FREESHIP" in Checkout - U.S. Only, Not Available to Alaska and Hawaii)
    - 17.3" FHD 16:9 "Matte Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright LED Matte Screen (1920x1080) (SKU - X1R553)
    - NO Professional Monitor Color Calibration
    - Standard Dead Pixel Policy
    - 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM, 2.2-3.1GHz, (32nm, 6MB L3 cache) - FREE 8GB Pin Drive with CPU Upgrade! (must be requested at time of sale) (SKU - X2N220)
    - Stock OEM Thermal Compound ( IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU Provided FREE with Processor Upgrade!)
    - nVidia GeForce GTX 580M 2,048MB PCI-Express GDDR5 DX11 (SKU - X3R516)
    - No Video Adapter
    - 12GB DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (3x4GB SODIMMS) - Default (SKU - X4N380)
    - Standard Finish
    - Standard White Logo Backlight
    - 750GB (w/ 8GB SSD Memory) Seagate XT 7200RPM NCQ Hybrid (Serial-ATA III 600 - 32MB Cache) (SKU - X5R425)
    - REMOVE Second Hard Drive (SKU - X6R952)
    - No Caching Solid State Drives
    - Raid 0 - Performance Default
    - 4X Blu-Ray Reader / 8X DVDRW/CDRW Super Multi Combo Drive (SKU - X7R501)
    - No Extra Optical Bay Hard Drive Caddy
    - No Back Up Hard Drive
    - NO External USB Optical Drive
    - Internal 7-in-1 Card Reader (MS/MS Pro/MS Duo/MS Pro Duo/SD/Mini-SD/MMC/RS)
    - No Back Up Software
    - Bluetooth Included (See “Wireless Network” Section Below)
    - Intel® Advanced-N 6230 - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module + Bluetooth (SKU - X8R105)
    - No Network Accessory
    - Integrated Digital Video Camera
    - No TV Tuner
    - Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
    - No Carrying Case
    - Smart Li-ion Battery (9-Cell)
    - No Car Adapter
    - No Spare AC Adapter
    - No Dock/Hub/Adapter
    - No Fingerprint Reader
    - No Headset
    - No External Keyboard
    - No External Mouse
    - No Notebook Cooler
    - No Thanks, Please do not Overclock my system
    - No Operating System Redline Boost
    - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Pre-Installed + Drivers & Utilities Disk
    - Keep factory installed operating system
    - No thanks, do not create backup recovery DVD's
    - No Antivirus Essentials Software Bundle
    - No Office Software
    - No Software Bundle
    - 2 Year MSI US Parts & Labor 1 Year Global Warranty w/ Lifetime Tech Support
    + 1 Year Accidental Damage Warranty (Requires Registration within 30 Days from Ship Date) (SKU - M9R301)

- Standard Production Time
    - No Xotic PC Gear

$2073 final price

If you didn't need the blu ray reader, you can take that out of there as well and get a further discount. You can also drop the wireless card upgrade and you should be squeezing in right around $200 and have the cool MSI looks.
    Thats kind of expensive you chose the most expensive laptop .
    1 question if i buy NOW a laptop which has in its specs" supports 3rd generation intel core", I will get no processor ?
    Also will Ivy bridge be released before middle may?

Quote Originally Posted by solarstorm View Post
    Thats kind of expensive you chose the most expensive laptop .
    1 question if i buy NOW a laptop which has in its specs" supports 3rd generation intel core", I will get no processor ?
    Also will Ivy bridge be released before middle may?
    You will have a processor in there, we don't ship out any models that don't have one. Intel has an embargo on their new processors until the 29th according to the rumors spinning around the net. After that embargo is lifted, we'll be able to say exactly comes by default, as of now though, we aren't allowed to post it.

If the price was too high on that one, you might also consider looking at the Sager 9170 or the new MSI GT models that you got the "supports 3rd generation intel core" snippet from. All those are going to offer the same tech once it all is released and offer you the power you're wanting.
    Derek S.
    Xotic PC
    derek@xoticpc.com
    1-877-289-9684 x529