Toll Free: 1-877-289-9684  |  Live Chat 7 Days a Week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sager 95% Color Gamut Screen Upgrade Question

Exclamation Sager 95% Color Gamut Screen Upgrade Question

Hi guys, just wanted to ask a quick question on a display upgrade after some brief back-story... I am currently in the market for a new laptop and likely to purchase an NP6165. However, I am very afraid of any potential dead/stuck pixels that would mar my display.

On-top of the hassle of having to return it to the company to be fixed up, I am only going to be in the US for around 3 weeks when I would have it ordered to ship to a friend's address that I'd be staying at. So it would be a stretch to have remedied if something did happen as I do not have much time for that to occur (hence my fears).

So my question would be, if I were to choose the 95% color gamut upgrade for my NP6165, are there any reasonable chances of it still coming with dead/stuck pixels? Or is that more of an issue if the laptop were to ship with a stock display?

I cannot really afford to pay for the 60 dollar warranty if I were to choose the upgraded screen. I can, however, choose it if I were to stick with the standard one. But again, despite the warranty (if I were to choose it), I would be on a time crunch if the laptop did need to be returned due to malfunctioning pixels.

So... what do you think?

EDIT: Also, would the NP6165 be the best bang for my buck for the price? My budget is $1000 and I really cannot go any higher than that.
    Last edited by theDARKW0LF; 06-08-2012 at 05:50 AM.

Laptops are checked out before leaving xotic. Dead pixels or stuck pixels are something that happen every now and then. I have yet to own a computer that came with or developed dead pixels. Since you will have a high resolution screen--since the pixels are smaller--if you got one, especially in the corners, you probably would never notice it.

The Sager 6165 is a good machine for the money. I'm certain you'll enjoy it and consider it money well spent.
    MSI GT70 0NC-008US / Nvidia GTX670 / 3rd Generation Ivy Bridge Intel i7-3610QM / 16 GB DDR3-1600MHz / Intel Ultimate-N 6300 wireless/ Steel Series Keyboard

Ah, right that's makes sense - don't know why I thought they wouldn't check the screens before shipping... That's definitely a relief! Thanks for your response.

While this thread is open, I'd like to ask another question now that the other has been answered. How good, if you have any idea, is the stock wireless card that the NP6165 comes with? Since the upgrades are a fairly minimal cost, would it be worth considering any in particular? To be clear, I'm getting the laptop for college and I won't be bringing my already beastly desktop since it's not located in the same country as the university I'll be living/studying at. I'm not sure, but I may very well be bringing my laptop outside as the campus is connected throughout, so I believe an improved card may come in handy.

There is an option for dead pixel guarantee on the customize form. Screen upgrade is a different feature.

-k
    Finally added my machine here...
    Xotic MSI-GT683DX - Intel Core i7-2670QM
    Nvidia GeForce GTX570M, dual 7200RPM 750GB HDDs

The stock wireless card is usually garbage on any model. I went with the Intel Ultimate Wireless and I love the results I'm getting from it.
    MSI GT70 0NC-008US / Nvidia GTX670 / 3rd Generation Ivy Bridge Intel i7-3610QM / 16 GB DDR3-1600MHz / Intel Ultimate-N 6300 wireless/ Steel Series Keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by theDARKW0LF View Post
    Hi guys, just wanted to ask a quick question on a display upgrade after some brief back-story... I am currently in the market for a new laptop and likely to purchase an NP6165. However, I am very afraid of any potential dead/stuck pixels that would mar my display.

On-top of the hassle of having to return it to the company to be fixed up, I am only going to be in the US for around 3 weeks when I would have it ordered to ship to a friend's address that I'd be staying at. So it would be a stretch to have remedied if something did happen as I do not have much time for that to occur (hence my fears).

So my question would be, if I were to choose the 95% color gamut upgrade for my NP6165, are there any reasonable chances of it still coming with dead/stuck pixels? Or is that more of an issue if the laptop were to ship with a stock display?

I cannot really afford to pay for the 60 dollar warranty if I were to choose the upgraded screen. I can, however, choose it if I were to stick with the standard one. But again, despite the warranty (if I were to choose it), I would be on a time crunch if the laptop did need to be returned due to malfunctioning pixels.

So... what do you think?

EDIT: Also, would the NP6165 be the best bang for my buck for the price? My budget is $1000 and I really cannot go any higher than that.
    You are aware that Sager and unbranded MSI notebooks have no global warranty.

The MSI GE60 has a 1 year global warranty but lists for a bit more than your $1000 budget.
    MSI GT780DX | Intel Core i7-2670QM | nVidia GTX 570M | 16 GB DDR3-1333 | 240 GB OCZ Vertex3 MI SSD | 120GB Vertex 3 MI SSD(caddy) | 2 x 240GB SanDisk Extreme SSD R0 | Tuniq TX-3 | Bigfoot Killer Wireless-N 1103(3x3) | Netgear R6300

Smog makes a good point about the global warranty if you can come up with the $99 extra. That would be your safest bet, money well spent. MSI makes an awesome machine and you would never regret going that route.

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    Smog makes a good point about the global warranty if you can come up with the $99 extra. That would be your safest bet, money well spent. MSI makes an awesome machine and you would never regret going that route.
    Thanks for all your responses! I see how that'd be a good idea to get the MSI machine instead for the global warranty - however I do not believe I would be able to come up with an extra 99 bucks for that machine, even though I'd get the warranty. Plus, I wouldn't want to get any of these laptops without getting the IC Diamond thermal paste for cooler temps, and adding that on the GE60 would already add on another $35...

The Sager's are reliable machines, right? I mean, there's no more of a risk getting one of them than getting an MSI (aside from the warranty part)? Are they quite solid build-wise? The only thing I don't like looking at the NP6165 is the speakers, which people have said are horrible.

Sager is a good machine. I would trust one just as much as my MSI. I plan to purchase a Sager 9150 later on this year.

Thanks once again for your answer, Clayton. I have possibly two final questions if you don't mind...

First - do you, or anyone else for that matter, know how well this particular model handles the temps that the hardware puts out under load during gaming? Since it'd be the only PC I'd have with me for a long while (perhaps for a whole 3 years even), it would see a lot of stress and I'm hoping it can cope with the strain. I do have a Cooler Master Notepal X2 laptop cooler to aid it, if that's anything significant.

Secondly, do any of you know if XoticPC ever has any sort of Summer Sale? I'm going to be buying the laptop around the end of July, since that's when I'll be traveling to the US to stay for a few weeks. I realize this question makes more sense if I could get the laptop now and merely wanted to know if waiting a while was a better idea, but I think it'd be nice to know whether a week's difference in buying time would make any difference, as I do have that small amount of leeway.

Thanks a bunch for all your great answers!