Toll Free: 1-877-289-9684  |  Live Chat 7 Days a Week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copper Cooling Upgrade

Default Copper Cooling Upgrade

If at all possible I'd like to see some photos of this newly offered optional upgrade.

COPPER COOLING UPGRADE - Extra Cooling Copper Heatsinks Applied to the Heatsink/Heatpipes (XPC Service) ( + 79 )

Last edited by SmogHog; 07-16-2012 at 07:42 PM.
    MSI GT780DX | Intel Core i7-2670QM | nVidia GTX 570M | 16 GB DDR3-1333 | 240 GB OCZ Vertex3 MI SSD | 120GB Vertex 3 MI SSD(caddy) | 2 x 240GB SanDisk Extreme SSD R0 | Tuniq TX-3 | Bigfoot Killer Wireless-N 1103(3x3) | Netgear R6300

SmogHog, so is having a copper cooler usually worth the extra cost do you think?

And to xoticpc tech, could you give us some more info on this upgrade or direct me
    to the place on your site where it is explained?

Seconded. The cost seemed pretty high, until I factored in the cost of copper and the labor involved in installing it. All the same, I'd love to visually see what I'd be getting for the upgrade.

Third request for the same here. I'm considering pulling the trigger on an ASUS G75VW-RS72 and am wondering if the extra copper is worth the cost.

I wouldn't do it over the IC Diamond but if you have the extra to spend on it, both will help!

Still waiting for more information and some photos showing exactly what the upgrade option is.
    MSI GT780DX | Intel Core i7-2670QM | nVidia GTX 570M | 16 GB DDR3-1333 | 240 GB OCZ Vertex3 MI SSD | 120GB Vertex 3 MI SSD(caddy) | 2 x 240GB SanDisk Extreme SSD R0 | Tuniq TX-3 | Bigfoot Killer Wireless-N 1103(3x3) | Netgear R6300

Cedric@XoticPC Guest

Ill have pictures as soon as they are taken. Basically its attaching small copper heatsinks to the pipes to draw more heat away.

I thought I saw an XPC employee post saying that staying with the stock thermal compound and adding the copper cooling would increase longevity of a laptop greater than just the IC Diamond. Makes sense but how come? I don't really understand what these thermal compounds do.. Could anyone explain?

Quote Originally Posted by BrotatoChip View Post
    I thought I saw an XPC employee post saying that staying with the stock thermal compound and adding the copper cooling would increase longevity of a laptop greater than just the IC Diamond. Makes sense but how come? I don't really understand what these thermal compounds do.. Could anyone explain?
    Air is a very poor conductor of heat.

Metal has pores that contain air.

The thermal compound replaces the air in the pores of the metal that forming better transfer of heat from the chip to the heatsink.

The heat is then sent to the heatpipes that have very thin copper fins at the far ends.

The cooling fans force air through the fins and out the vents.

GPUs and CPUs with higher TDP will generate more heat and cause thermally controlled fans to rev faster.

Cedric@XoticPC Guest

Here is a picture that I took this morning. Each system we do this to will be different, because of internal placement of components and case thickness and dimensions.

CAS